AuthorTopic: Nemesis sprites  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Bahototh

• @ThompFinholm
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Gehennom

Nemesis sprites

on: January 27, 2010, 10:01:04 pm
sprites for a remake-in-progress, Nemesis the Warlock (original 8-bit game)
No problem with ideas, but I'm having trouble drawing in a consistant style....thoughts?

Jad: edited to show image
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:15:30 pm by Jad »
-----------------------------------------------------
An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
Working on:[Thy Sword]

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Re: Nemesis sprites

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:22:35 pm
Nemesis!
I like them. I made a few scans to illustrate the points.
Nemesis himself is looking fairly on-model, although he's missing that tube that stretches from his head to his back.

I'm not sure if I'd suggest adding it though - it might excessively clutter the design. Something to consider.
I haven't read the entire series, but in your work he seems to be shooting with everything other than his mouth, which is what left an impression with me:

I'll address style since you bring it up. Clearly, the original art style (Kevin O'Neill, I can't speak of the others) is impossible to render completely at the desired size. Not practically, but in principle - because, among other things, it's defined by a high-degree of detail, like this (1). However, another characteristic is bold lighting & stark contrast, so I suggest going as far in that direction as the limitations will permit.

I know you said you didn't need ideas, but here are some scans of things that might make nice sprites (they're big): (2), (3), (4).

EDIT: I hope my overzealous response didn't kill this thread...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:08:09 pm by 7321551 »