AuthorTopic: Dinko, the kobold  (Read 5784 times)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: Dinko, the kobold

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:22:31 am

You have light sources coming from the left, the top left, and the top. It makes the piece seem ununified.

The pole and the button are both too big and bright compared to dinko, who is small, dark, and desaturated, it makes it look like dinko is waaay far back in the shadows and the pole is really close up.

Everything has a shape, not just the arm. you should study your arm and see where the bulges are, the biceps, the deltiods, the triceps.
Then look at the legs, your knee stands out a lot, and your leg is like a cylinder except the base is a oval, not a circle. The lower leg usually has a prominent calf muscle, making a bulge there.

The fingers are shaded such that they look like they have outlines, disconnecting them from the hands. This can make them look like sausages. (YUM! :D )

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 07:42:13 pm
Also, you have some nasty gradient shading going on, where every shadow goes through a bunch of midtones to reach the lightest color. A gradient. This is partly why, as MLC said, the legs look like cylinders. I'd go back and try and shade with one shadow color and one highlight, and the midtone that has the actual color you want him to be. If you can make that look right, then go on and add more shadows and highlights, where appropriate. When you use a ton of colors right from the beginning then the piece is going to be messy and cloudy, and the shading will be lacking.

Offline Shook

• Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 09:13:09 pm
My, this is certainly going to take some time. But then again, it always does, doesn't it? I'll try this out tomorrow, as i don't really have the time today. Hopefully, it will end up looking better. ;D

Also, the pole/button thingie isn't permanent anyways. I was thinking about making something... Ocular, to replace it. Say, a robot eye or something. This will probably replace it entirely.
I'm not a painting.