AuthorTopic: Base[WIP]  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Kirus

• View Profile

Base[WIP]

on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:46 am

Well this is a base I'm thinking of making for a game but as you can see it doesn't look alive in a game kinda feel if you get what i mean and i think my shading is a bit off and I'm pretty sure there are more problems with this base so i would like some C&C Please and Thank you.

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Re: Base[WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:34 pm
Hey Kirus,

You want to start by defining a source of light. It shouldn't be that every single place on his body is filled with the exact same shade. There are bright spots, and there are shadows.  Increase the contrast a little as well.

Anatomy is your friend  :) His neck is too long/his shoulders shouldn't slant down so much, his arms are a little short, and he looks like he's wearing pants made of skin. The thighs should taper down gradually and there shouldn't be such a division at the knee. Take some time to study the human form before you begin to pixel it. It can be a pain in the butt now but it'll be indispensable later on.
I think it'd be a lot of help to you if you removed the outlines - since your base is so small, they are a waste of space. Instead, use contrasts between light and dark to shape his form.

The animation is stiff. In a normal walk, your torso would slightly twist from side to side as one arm goes forward and the other goes back.
I'd also suggest adding more frames unless there's a restriction, because right now it looks very choppy.

I commend your courage in tackling a front view walk! Keep up the good work.