AuthorTopic: Character sketch  (Read 18497 times)

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Character sketch

on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:58 am
Hey guys :D I'm not exactly new to pixelling, but I have a lot to learn ...
Well, here's a character I made a while ago. I'm not really satisfied with the hair and the arms on the walking animation, but I'm not sure as to how to go about fixing it :(

Any critiques would be appreciated!

Edit: Fixed it up a little ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:51:12 am by Chis »

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Re: Character sketch

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:48 pm
Well I still have a LOT to learn. But the highlights on the hair and rest of the body seem a bit extreme. It seems fine on the shirt, but the face shows no color, and the difference between the color and white highlight on the hair are far to different.

As for the animation, to me it seems as if the arms are moving far to much for walking. And unless she's running, the hair probably shouldn't have that much movement.

Other then that, nice work.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:35:28 pm
It's certainly a high-contract design, but I'm just going to call that a style choice. The exaggerated movement, of the arms etc, is a common (and good, if done well) technique to infuse some extra character into an animated figure. This Raggedy Anne lookin' guy is obviously meant to be cartoon style, not realistic.

When you apply such strong light to part of an animated object and don't reflect that movement in the placement of the pixel clusters affected by that light, you run the danger of lit areas looking painted on permanently. Simply make the hair's highlight's bob the opposite direction. (shine a flashlight at your hand and move your hand up and down, does the flashlight's highlight not stay put as your hand moves?)

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:10:20 pm
Thanks for your comments!

In response to making a realistic figure, I experimented a little and came up with this:

Would something like that be better instead?

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:57:03 am
It definetly looks better but if you're just trying to get the hang of animating arms in motion I'd stick with the simple one, just to make it so its easier to edit the frames.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:24:54 pm
Am I the only one that thinks the original stands out more and looks like it has more potential? I like the style its got, reminds me of Yoshi's island, it just needs alot of cleaning up and some tweaks here and there. I think it losers that 'drawn' feeling you get from the original.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:00 pm
Am I the only one that thinks the original stands out more and looks like it has more potential? I like the style its got, reminds me of Yoshi's island, it just needs alot of cleaning up and some tweaks here and there. I think it losers that 'drawn' feeling you get from the original.

I agree.
You should try cleaning the outlines of the original, maybe that could help. But it all depends on what you're looking for.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:46 am
Thanks for your comments!

In response to making a realistic figure, I experimented a little and came up with this:

Would something like that be better instead?

I really like both of them, but I think the first one has a more unique style so I think you should go with that one. I've got to say, I really like it. It's got a great vibe. I'm sure there are always things you could improve, but I think it makes a very good base.

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:18:32 pm
I guess I'm keeping the old one then :) I'm more fond of that one, too.

I tweaked the animation more and cleaned up a little.
I'm sort of hesitant to completely clean up the outline because I intentionally varied its width to hint at shadows, so it might look flat once they're removed.
But I dunno  ???

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:40 am
I'm sort of hesitant to completely clean up the outline because I intentionally varied its width to hint at shadows, so it might look flat once they're removed.
But I dunno  ???

You mean like this?

Using black as the shadow color really worked for The World Ends With You (game this screenshot was from), because the world of the game is obsessed with street fashion, hard rock, gorgeous celebrities, good ramen, and a popular Beyblades-esque game (hello, screenshot!). You wouldn't call the game "edgy," but the Shibuya the characters live in is all about being on the edge of everything. It shows in the art; all the character portraits have hard outlines that resemble the sharpness of wildstyle, the main character likes the art of a specific graffiti artist more than anything else, and all the enemies have limbs that look like graffiti. So the hard black outlines work as shading. Your character, though, is cute, and is defined by its roundness. Sure, there are edges, but that's not the focus. The only times when I would say the black-outline-shading is helping you is when the feet are moving away from the viewer, and the right side of his hair where it goes behind his face. Aside from that, it's not really shading anything. Just try it and see if you like it.

[Edit] Is there a reason why making longer posts screws with the scrollbar for the textbox?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:28:02 am by iggybork »