AuthorTopic: Chrono Trigger style  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

Chrono Trigger style

on: March 17, 2006, 05:50:04 am

Just a simple sprite, in Chrono Trigger style.
I'm still pretty basic, and I've tried implementing some of the tips I've been getting.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: Chrono Trigger style

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:15:45 am
 Nice! Looks kinda like Frog's pose. Is he a guardsman?

Offline ZeroByte

• ChemiKhazi
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:48:12 pm
I rather like the stance of your character, it really gives it life. The colours could use a little work though. They're too saturated right now, the contrasts between the colours give it a somewhat 8 bit vibe. Maybe you could use another darker flesh tone to outline the face and arms.

The legs are also a bit difficult to read, they left and right legs blend into each other too much. Again maybe it could be fixed by adding another colour or using black to differentiate between the legs.

It's a good start though, keep working on it. I think one of the problems you may have with colour selection is that you're just using the darkness slider in the colour picker to get the different shades. Doing that deprives your palette of life. Try going to the hue mode of the colour picker (the radio button marked H) and picking from there before darkening it with darkness.

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:10:38 pm

I fixed the legs up, there was a stray pixel that I forgot to get rid of. Changed the colors up as well. I might've lightened it a bit much though.

^ for comparisson

Oh, and I got something else on the go 'ere, doubt I'll get around to finishing it, since I buggered up the anotomy a fair amount. It's supposed to be deformed, but this just looks kind of stupid. It's only in the stages of drawing, with a whee bit o' color, though, so I wouldn't be losing a whole lot of time.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:45:26 pm
why not try to make a sprite the same SIZE as chrono trigger sprites?

like this:

http://fantasy-central.tripod.com/chronotrigger_marle_sheet.gif
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 04:33:05 pm

That was the pose I used for reference. My characters legs are slightly bent, as in the reference, so of course she's going to be a couple pixels shorter.

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 10:11:37 pm
Nice work, the only thing I would change would be the head, it looks kinda small. That head needs place to fit a brain and I would look at a side view of marle in the sheet hawken showed you. See the difference? The second but less important thing is that i think the feets are too big...  Of course both of those things could be a style you want to give to the sprite if you want.