AuthorTopic: Isometric 64 x 64 tileset  (Read 11174 times)

Offline Yar

• View Profile

Isometric 64 x 64 tileset

on: December 31, 2009, 03:29:44 am
Heya :)

Had some time and wanted to go back and have some fun doing some tilesets. I also wanted to donate some art to http://opengameart.org/. Spent a bit over a week (more time than I had set aside) using Graphics Gale on a Tablet PC.
Tiles are here: http://opengameart.org/content/isometric-64x64-outside-tileset

A scene with the tiles:

Pretty weak composition. It was the last bit and I'd run out of steam. I did want to show at least a majority of what I thought the tileset could do.

Same scene without vegetation (which is fairly dense in the first version):

One of the problems I had are the taller grass tiles. I was trying to get a nice balance between readability / iconography and somewhat realistic style for these tiles and, due to the long 'strandy' nature of chest-high tall grasses, the tiles you see above were the best I could do. I did try some...I'm not sure how to explain this...'grouped'(?) clumps that only had jagged outlines on the top of the grass and pushed a lot of single blades into a single shape. It...did not work.

Any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:56:07 pm by Yar »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: Isometric 64 x 64 tileset

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:40:00 am
The rocks are very dull.... I'd add some highlights.

You'll want to make multiple instances of things, look at the top of the hill (unforested), It's very easy to see the pattern, and that's very bad.

The grass is very splochy, you might want to make it a little cartoon-y-er.

A good way to improve readability is to add in shadows. Good luck, chap.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 04:59:42 am
I have very mixed feelings about the palette of the grass. On one end, it's smooth and soft, and looks nice... on the other hand the red is almost glowing it feels like. It almost makes me think the grass has a radioactive quality to it. Perhaps change the red to a soft blue-green tint instead? The variety and things you've covered with these tiles is pretty impressive, and it all comes together in a nice way :)

I agree though, some contrast might do this piece some good(and I don't mean just ramping up the contrast, add some darks between the cracks of the rocks, and some highlights). Everything right now seems midtone... though adding such contrast might ruin the feel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:04:23 am by Dusty »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:25:56 am

?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:40:25 pm
Wow, I love this. I'm reminded of clay, in a really good way. Lovely soft rendering. Very easy on the eyes. MLC's edit offers good points.

The flora, however, don't mix. Your palette jumps far too quickly to a few putrid shadow entries, and they have noticeable outlines. The trademark of the rock and ground tiles is the low contrast, soft  faded hues, and absense of outlines. I like the grass splotchy!

Offline Yar

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:32:00 am
Thanks for the advice, kind words, and especially the edit MLC.

The rocks are very dull.... I'd add some highlights.

You'll want to make multiple instances of things, look at the top of the hill (unforested), It's very easy to see the pattern, and that's very bad.

The grass is very splochy, you might want to make it a little cartoon-y-er.

A good way to improve readability is to add in shadows. Good luck, chap.

Point taken on the rocks being dull. The palette (and the way it's applied) does suffer from some low contrast especially on the rock tiles. The palette on those probably needs a bit more range in value to fit in with the rest of the tiles. I like the highlights you did in the edit, but I'm not sure they work with the particular feel I was going for. The color and the positioning of the highlights on the edges between planes reads as glossy, wet, or almost glass like. However, although I don't have much time left for this project I may add another face/facet to the rocks that use a brighter color than the brightest on that ramp because I (think I) see what the point behind your advice.

On the alternate dirt tile: always good advice.

On the shadows: That's always good advice and if this was a static image (like the demo image instead of a group of tiles) I would definitely add them. I had considered doing a shadow set (of 50% alpha dark blue or black) for each tile. Unfortunately, because larger tiles (like the trees) and the nature of isometrics itself, the problem gets huge really quick. In the worst case, I'd be making n squared shadow tiles (where n is the number of tiles in the original set) because I'd have to project the shadow of each tile and curve or adjust that shadow onto every possible tile the shadow would fall onto. Practically, tho, it could be cut down by using more primitive shapes so somewhere between n and n squared - still too much to do.

If there's an easier way I'd be glad to know it.

I have very mixed feelings about the palette of the grass. On one end, it's smooth and soft, and looks nice... on the other hand the red is almost glowing it feels like. It almost makes me think the grass has a radioactive quality to it. Perhaps change the red to a soft blue-green tint instead? The variety and things you've covered with these tiles is pretty impressive, and it all comes together in a nice way :)

I agree though, some contrast might do this piece some good(and I don't mean just ramping up the contrast, add some darks between the cracks of the rocks, and some highlights). Everything right now seems midtone... though adding such contrast might ruin the feel.

The flora, however, don't mix. Your palette jumps far too quickly to a few putrid shadow entries, and they have noticeable outlines. The trademark of the rock and ground tiles is the low contrast, soft  faded hues, and absense of outlines. I like the grass splotchy!

So, my aim was to have background tiles err on being too low contrast to keep them in the background. For the plants, I was going for a bit more projected out into the viewer (because of their 'individual height' - if that phrase makes any sense) by giving them a small colored outline. I did need them to be somehow stylistically separate from the 'terrain' tiles. I had heard that outlining an object can be a good way of moving an image into the foreground.

All that being said, I agree I lost consistency in some areas (especially in the smaller broad leaf bushes v. the junipers). In the case of the rocks I think it went overboard and you guys are right that they need more contrast. Looking at the red again it does look a bit too much.
So:

I darkened the lower range of the rocks and lightened the upper range. I desaturated the red/dirt ramp (probably most noticable - at least to me - in the river banks) and darkened the deepest shades on the juniper bushes (the ones with the blue dots). The pine trees are recolored into a full green to get rid of that washed out brown.

Any better? Any more unified?

I should also note that the scale on these is roughly what's used in these sprites here:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4934.msg59827#msg59827
if not a bit larger(?).

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:09:51 am
I think overall this is pretty damn gorgeous (I love the splotchy grass) but the inconsistent lighting colour on the various elements makes it look rather disjointed.

I tweaked the ambient lighting colour to try to better tie the pieces together and also warmed up the highlights a bit.

Original:

Edit:

Offline Yar

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:39:55 pm
I tweaked the ambient lighting colour to try to better tie the pieces together and also warmed up the highlights a bit.

Thanks for the edit, Surt!

I liked the warmer highlights so I tried to tune those up. I also liked the greener central tree, so I moved those colors around too. I also trimmed the roots on that tree and added some small highlights to the rocks (something like MLC suggested.) I brought cyan in the grass up a bit more in saturation.

Oh, I also added another dirt tile (an alternate) to the set.

I think that's it for me - I've run out of time to work on this. I'll put the full set up on http://opengameart.org/ and remove it from the first post.

Thanks for all the help and edit, people. I really appreciate it :)

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:05:51 am
I like the new changes except for the cyan in the grass. The rocks don't appear to have changed much, also.

By the way, there's something odd going on with that stream... it appears as if it was just a tiny trickle that poof! Becomes a river... and well, I'm no river expert but it does look weird. Back to the rocks, the water corner might be a little unnaturally square compared to the rest of the tileset?

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:17:03 am
I love how this looks! My only comment is that the rocks looks dull maybe mess with the colors and make it more blue-ish?