AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dwarf Cave  (Read 6897 times)

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

[WIP] Dwarf Cave

on: December 26, 2009, 06:57:38 pm
I've started to work over a mockup for a dwarf adventure game. Here is a cave concept:

Does values on the background look fine? I'm a bit confused because CRT monitor and TFT monitor shows different pictures.
C+C needed.

An old dwarf with an axe will be the main character.

I plan to make animation.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dwarf Cave

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:29:08 am
Nice. Very Mega Drive. I like that you've given the rocks a clear light-source.

In the background, there is a big leap in saturation & hue, without any corresponding change in brightness. I reduced the saturation-difference, & added some (small) degree brightness-difference.

I also tried to smooth the transition between two of the ceiling tiles, by creating an additional tile.

Hope that helps.

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:09:54 am
Thank you! It looks much better. I've applied changes in this new update.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:32:28 pm
Hi Aramaki,

I really like this setting and your style. Anyway, the latest version looks still a bit washed out for me. So here's my max-contrast-edit.

PS: you might want to calibrate your monitors: http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:36:53 pm by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:44:20 pm
I don't like the max contrast at all. The original might need a little attention to contrast and brightness, but what you did is push everything to its limits, making it a confusing mess of priorities.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:46:34 pm
This is horrible!

Everyone knows Dwarfs are made out of text!
 :P

Looks okay but if this is a cave, where is all this magical light that is making everything so bright coming from?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:10:41 pm
MLC is right, I tried to make an edit to reflect the true nature of a sealed off dark cave:

In all seriousness, it's looking good. I like the max contrast edit, I think it makes the thing look vibrant and interesting. I love the rock tiles, but maybe you went a little overboard with the stalactites. Also, I don't think the dwarf fits very well. He is more of a cartoon style, with all the lines and clean surfaces, and the rest is very gritty and real looking, with detailed complex surfaces.

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:26:53 am
Lazycow
Nice. It popped out very clearly, and at first I was thinking to keep it that way, but after a while my eyes started to hurt, and I left the old varient, except for adjusting levels of the columns and the rock floor.

CrazyMLC
The light source is somewhere in the upper left.  I think you've got the point about the darkness in the tightly shut cave, but I'll die rendering and thinking over local illumination.

Also, I don't think the dwarf fits very well. He is more of a cartoon style, with all the lines and clean surfaces
I'll keep it this way for a while for the purpose of animation.

Update:

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 04:34:35 am
IMO these is a really neat looking game :P, my only concern is that you have too much colours going on that it doesn't have a feeling into it of being a cave..

Probably mine is abit overdone. but I hope it helps..

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 05:00:44 am
IMO these is a really neat looking game :P, my only concern is that you have too much colours going on that it doesn't have a feeling into it of being a cave..
Agree 100% and your example looks fine