AuthorTopic: [WIP] Grandpa  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

[WIP] Grandpa

on: December 20, 2009, 09:47:36 pm
I've been practicing a bit with some faces (which is almost the only thing I can draw and make something understandable).
And I make this old man:

The process:

I like it so far. I put WIP, but I really don't know if I'll continue working on it, I have a lot to study, a lot of work, and some other ideas, so I don't know  :-[. But I know it's not finished nor perfect, that's the "WIP" reason.
Any comment will be appreaciated  :)

PS: Also, I like it better than my Rabbid Rabbit attempt, so until further pixels  it'll be my new avatar.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: [WIP] Grandpa

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:03 pm
Looks quite good!

A few points for improves, maybe:
The mouth might be darker, it's not obvious at all in a casual glance at your av.
Dithering has the opposite effect of what you wanted: breaks down the head round shape into flat planes. You need more single-pixel-level control there.
It generally could use more contrast, I think.
And, those blue eyes?  ???

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15:22 pm
Yes, definitely make mouth darker - it's an important part of a face and right now it's hard to see
' _ '

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:30:54 am
Sorry I didn't reply earlier.  :-[ I didn't mean to be ungrateful, just didn't have the time to work on it. Not only the time really, I been spending my focus in reading some "teorical" threads about pixel art here and drawing a little bit more in paper.  :0'
I made some corrections as you suggested:

Old:

Anything else that need fixing?
Something I screwed in the last edit?

Thanks for the comments  ;D

Offline mocha_san

• View Profile
    • www.zachrisso.com

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:16 am
I like the darker mouth a lot more. I'm not sure if you need both of the shades on the left side of the forehead to be the same width. I'd make one of them significantly thinner. Which, I'm not sure; try both and see which you like better.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:43:21 pm
If, as the shading of his head suggests, the light is coming from our right, then our right side of his nose would be covered in shadow from the nose, to some extent. The ear would also be very much darker. I think you need to bring the shading to a bigger level - right now it seems as though you're shading individual details with much care - save that for later, gotta do the big picture now.

Still nice new update, I like it.
' _ '