AuthorTopic: Asea 3/4 Sprite Concept v.3.1  (Read 5753 times)

Offline abreaction

• Mmmm, tea
    • View Profile

Asea 3/4 Sprite Concept v.3.1

on: December 14, 2009, 04:53:08 am
My first submission here:
Asea 3/4 Sprite Concept v.3.1; the concept that will be used in reference to the sprites in my game Night is Day. The style, colors, and proportions will stay the same.

Earlier versions:

1:

2:

3:

Any critique is welcome, and for the color usage help is needed - 90 colors  :-[

Thanks in advance,
-abreaction

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Asea 3/4 Sprite Concept v.3.1

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:11:47 am
Quick edit:

Way too many colours. You even have colours that are completely covered up by an alpha channel! Literally colours that are impossible to see. Judge colours primarily on value; if they're similar value, merge them. I got it down to 18, but it probably could use 1 or 2 more near-greys for buffering.

Mixed light sources (compare belt to face to hair to boots to legs). Pick a light source and shade according to it.

Face is warped. Eyes aren't aligned (one nearest us is drooped down), same with the cheeks.

The long tail of hair on the top of the head is very strange, like he has a pony tail that has flicked up and onto his head. I say get rid of it.

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:28:48 am
Tried something too. Bah, not as good as the edit above but since I have it... I almost only changed the colors here.

I'm not even sure it's better, but meh. 24 colors if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:11:23 pm
I feel his torso is a little distractingly long to match the cute chibi style :x I think that could be shortened 2 or 3 pixels maybe...

Also the shape of his head is a little off too, like it curves into the scarf. If the scarf wasn't there, there wouldn't be a space for his mouth...This could be benefited if you nade the scarf larger so it looks like it's wrapped around something solid and covering his jaw...

...I hope that makes sense, I just reread this and realised how odd it sounds ;;

Offline abreaction

• Mmmm, tea
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:15 pm
@EyeCraft:
For one, your edit of the eyes is completely away from what I was aiming for, sorry~
I will get rid of the "ponytail" (might look empty there, though)
Another gray and black would look better.
& Yea, the light source is completely off... will fix

@MICKO: It definitely has less colors :| It's a start towards the smaller palette...

@Maru: So raise the upper part of the scarf by a pixel or two, and remove a pixel or two from his torso?
Is this what you meant?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:53:35 pm by abreaction »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:56:13 pm
some odd international gothic sway and lost volumes in the hips, quick stretch-edit :

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline abreaction

• Mmmm, tea
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:29:11 am
ahh, the eyes! They still are completely off. ???
And the thing underneath the robe is supposed to be a chain  :-[

Edit:
He looks like he is falling backwards.
sorry, I shouldn't be the one to criticize...

But I wasn't looking for shade per color! Not that few colors- The hair, face, and scarf are fine,  but everything else has too little shading
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:34:08 am by abreaction »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:06:36 am
I think the hair looks better in the previous versions, it looks like you decided to dumb it down a bit.
May I ask why?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:42:18 am
And the thing underneath the robe is supposed to be a chain  :-[

Edit:

But I wasn't looking for shade per color! Not that few colors- The hair, face, and scarf are fine,  but everything else has too little shading
If you don't let us do anything, how can we help you with your piece? So far your rendering method really... hasn't been there, wheres the light source? Why doesn't ever color you use actually count? As for your original, it looks like he's leaning to the left and his eyes are not correctly placed and the hair looks like its made out of paper. All the edits I've seen so far have been an improvement on your piece, I suggest you study them more closely. I apologize if I sound a bit harsh.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:30:40 am
@EyeCraft:
For one, your edit of the eyes is completely away from what I was aiming for, sorry~

Would you mind elaborating on what exactly it is you're aiming for? We aren't mind readers. Maybe if we have a clearer idea of where you want to go with the piece, we can be more precise with our suggestions. How exactly is my edit completely away from where you want to take it? The main thing I've done with the eyes is sit them more correctly in the skull:

And the thing underneath the robe is supposed to be a chain  :-[

Edit:

I think you're taking our edits way too absolutely. We are trying to suggest directions to you, not present 100% finished, polished versions. Yes the shading has been stripped away in the edits, but that doesn't mean we think you should do that. Focus on what we are saying in our posts, because its not always the case that people hit every one of their points in the edits they make. The main point is that you have too many colours, with most of them not contributing in any significant way to the depiction of the subject.

ndchristie's point is valid, try to appreciate where he's coming from. The pose may not be 100% perfect in his edit, but his suggestion has merit. Take some time to check out references of people's posture when they stand straight, you'll find ndchristie's is closer to how the human body works than what you have at the moment.