AuthorTopic: Base [WIP]  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Kazuma11

• Where you see risk, I see opportunity.
    • View Profile

Base [WIP]

on: December 12, 2009, 07:40:16 am
Hello folks  :). A friend suggested to try this place out. From what I've seen, theres a lot of talented pixel artists here. Hopefully, I can learn a few things. I've been doing pixel art for a couple of months now, but I'd like to get even better. I was working on a 32x32 Base for a project I'd like to start. It'd be nice if I could get some C&C on it.

Sorry if it doesn't have transparency. If anyone knows a program that can help me, then please, let me know. Anywho, I'd like to finish the side views animations. But that's one of my main problems. I can't do animations for my life. Help would be appriciated.  ;D
Thanks in advance!

-Kazuma.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Base [WIP]

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:49:56 am

Alright bear with me here I know this is an extreme edit but I wanted to show you a few things:
#1 - Contrast in your colors, helps with readability
#2 - Good Silhouette
#3 - Perspective, now you don't have to do this, it just helps give a little more life to the creature and is most useful if you're making sprites for say, an RPG
#4 - Definite light source, helps with readability as well as its just a basic rule of art to follow
Try to treat your person as a sculpture, first you must flesh him out, then you must turn on a light for him. I hope I've helped, good luck on your piece!

Offline Kazuma11

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:56:36 pm
The edit is nice, but the shoulders seem a little odd to me. But you're right about the contrast. Also, I went with the buff look for a reason, lols. Thanks for the comment. Keep em coming!

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:13:50 pm
Keep em coming? I think you too quickly rebuffed Bengoshia's advice and edit, it improves on your piece in virtually every way. I'd go back, look carefully at what he did and try to do the same, because if THAT edit didn't help I don't know what would.

To reiterate some of the things he did, and contrast with your approach:

- He made a palette that can give the impression of the object being 3D. Yours is just a flat peach color, plus some slightly darker colors

- He used shadow and light to create the volume of the guy, you used lines, then threw a little shadow into the border of each box created.  Trying to draw with lines on such a small guy is not a good choice usually, it will make it look confusing.

- His face gives the impression of being a 3d object, yours is a flat object with pixels on it. I understand you want to go with the anime style, and thats fine, but it's not an excuse to be lazy. Even anime characters are 3d.

Heres a thread where you can see a bunch of approaches (some comedic) to the type of sprite your going for:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7301.0

And thats really what I think the forum is about, trying something, and then seeing how someone else (perhaps someone with greater skill) would approach and execute it. But the most important part is trying to integrate their knowledge, by seeing what they do differently and attempting it. Good luck.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 09:35:12 pm

Maybe try desaturating the outline and making your darks darker and lights lighter. Those are the first two major issues I see.

Offline Kazuma11

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:13:28 pm
@ Naci: You're right, I should of had taken a closer look at Bengoshia's edit and try to learn something from it. Which I did, I think. Here's a simple edit.
I wanted to keep the same muscular shape. I also played around with the pallete. Looking any better?