AuthorTopic: Combat Dragonfly  (Read 10455 times)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Combat Dragonfly

on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:21 pm
Hello,

here is a sprite i did today it depicts a combat dragonfly, a possible endboss. Yet i am not satisfied with parts in the back. Btw. there is no AA to the background as its supposed to work on any gfx.
If you have any ideas for improving the piece, just fire at will.  ;D

Current version:

Shot animation:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:38:37 am by Zweckform »

Offline cassiius

• View Profile

Re: Combat Dragonfly

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:02:44 pm
It looks very flat as you have it now.  Also, dragonflies have four wings, not two.

I suggest looking at some references of dragonflies and study their anatomy.  I understand it's not supposed to be lifelike, but I believe it will make your piece much better looking.

I'm not very good at shading (or colors for that matter) but there's something wrong in your shading; I just can't put my finger on it.

EDIT:  Another thing, he doesn't look like he's in much of a "combat state" or anything, or like he's even flying.  Give him some kind of dynamic pose.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:09:05 am
Hello,

It looks very flat as you have it now.  Also, dragonflies have four wings, not two.

I suggest looking at some references of dragonflies and study their anatomy.  I understand it's not supposed to be lifelike, but I believe it will make your piece much better looking.
Ok, i'll give it a try to make it more recognizeable as a dragonfly.

I'm not very good at shading (or colors for that matter) but there's something wrong in your shading; I just can't put my finger on it.

Yes it seems there is something missing for a cooler look and maybe it looks odd that the front got mor light than the back.

EDIT:  Another thing, he doesn't look like he's in much of a "combat state" or anything, or like he's even flying.  Give him some kind of dynamic pose.

Right, its definitly lacking aggressiveness or as you proposed dynamic.

Thanks for your help, new version hopefully coming soon.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:22:16 pm
Hello,

new version with reduced palette (now 14 instead of 18 colours) and many changes:

I am still not satisfied with it looks too flat, but i am a bit stuck atm.

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:35:56 am
To be honest, I prefered the wing design on your first dragonfly :o! Though I feel the wings should be a bit larger to make it look more powerful.

I think the shading is throwing me off at the moment. Maybe make it smoother so it looks less dull and more metallic like metal? (I'm assuming that's the effect you're aiming for...)

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 10:34:09 am
Hey, I've made an edit to show how I think it can be improved :)

The lighting is almost pillowy, try adding a lightsource (e.g. top left). I agree that the wings looked better in the first rendition but they need to be bigger :P I sorta went overboard with realism, they'd probably need to be much stronger looking.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:56:51 pm
Hello,

Sorry you dislike the new wings. I actually found them more accurate for the character of the ship, even though its not close to the real dragonflies anymore.
In this edit i changed the shading to a more metal like look, as it should be a armoured ship and the older version didn't fit (as you guys stated).
Some changes in the structure here and there and i hopefully added more depth to it.
Still 14 colours with some palette changes.

@Jeremy: Nice edit, the wings look cute, but too natural for me in this case. Thanks for that anyway, it would be an interesting direction,too.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:23:07 pm by Zweckform »

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:54 am
Hello,

finally got some time to rework some areas. Thanks to Dan/pdx for his comments that helped to improve it (...this is war, not a flowering meadow  :lol: ). This version got back to 18 colours. Aggressiveness was increased and the thrusts added. For those who still wonder about the wings: the plan is that they are used to project a shield in the end. Still testing that.
Any c&c still warmly welcome.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:12:32 pm by Zweckform »

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 09:14:43 am
Hello,

finally got my head a bit free and did a little shot animation for the Dragonfly, as usual C&C is warmly welcome.

Offline newdan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 08:05:55 pm
Hi zwecki,

considering from where you started with your dragpnfly, you´ve already come a long way, boy.

The reflection of the flames vanishes too fast (at least for me).

To improve you could add a frame with a even brighter refelction to match the gun flames.

dan