AuthorTopic: Army Guy  (Read 3961 times)

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Army Guy

on: December 12, 2009, 10:08:26 pm

I started making this army guy, and I'm liking how it's turning out. I started small, then enlarged it and removed blockyness. I've tried to color it, but I can't seem to get it right. I'm not sure how to go about doing it because of how small the guy is. Right now it's only 3 colors I think, but I want to make it more detailed.

Note, I didn't realize how it barely stands out from the background here, so if you can't see it, just right click and view it.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Army Guy

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:10:58 pm
When shading, make your lights lighter and your darks darker; right now all the shades in there are way too close to midtones.

Also, consider throwing a touch of color into your grays, particularly your darks, for dynamic effect.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:26 pm

This was my attempt at coloring. The second one doesn't have enough contrast, and the first kind of looks sloppy.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:17:14 am
I do rather like this little guy, here's an edit I've made, mainly on colors.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:38:51 am

This was my attempt at coloring. The second one doesn't have enough contrast, and the first kind of looks sloppy.

If you were taking my advice on adding in  a touch of color, you put way too much, I meant a barely recognizable amount.

Working with that small a size is going to require some serious subpixel rendering to get in enough detail to distinguish body parts and clothing and to give it some volume. And make sure to use shading, not just solid areas of color.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:54:17 am
why not use blocks of solid colors as a conscious choice?

I don't see the need to add a lot of stuff via subpixeling, if you can convey this guy's important details and 3d-ness with animation he might look real hot.

Just saying I really like the current thing. Does he have an environment to be in? If so, post it here so we can make them go together well.
' _ '

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 03:31:19 am
why not use blocks of solid colors as a conscious choice?

I don't see the need to add a lot of stuff via subpixeling, if you can convey this guy's important details and 3d-ness with animation he might look real hot.

Just saying I really like the current thing.

I just think that it's suffering from a lack of visual information; if that information could be given through the use of strong, refined shapes and concise color combinations, then I'm all for it.

I agree that animation could really make this piece work; I'm working on a game project right now that uses tiny sprites, and I've pulled off a number of otherwise dull images through the use of lively sequences.

...Does he have an environment to be in? If so, post it here so we can make them go together well.

Yeah, pixelation's color scheme isn't exactly doing this soldier sprite any liberty  :blind:

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:17 am

All I've been doing right now is trying to animate some stuff, though I do have an idea of the background, which I think I want color in. Which is why I wanted him to have some color, you know?

I tried to throw a scene together. It's not perfect, but it's what I'm going for. Though maybe gray for in place of the black.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:19:37 am by bonofthedead »

Offline Splode

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 06:37:37 am
He really does need colour or something: he is very hard to see!
Current WIP: