AuthorTopic: My Eden, game tiles  (Read 3243 times)

Offline 006

• View Profile

My Eden, game tiles

on: November 24, 2009, 08:42:52 am
I'm working on a tileset for a game, with gameboy colour restrictions (4 colours), 16x16 tiles and I'm having some real trouble. My main trouble is water. I'm trying to keep it as detailed as I can without dithering (Cause the game will look too busy) . All help is really appreciated.

^^ Inspired by Plagued by Jalonso, (Mainly the cliffs  :sry:.)

Please C+C I really want to improve, thanks.

P.S. Tiles are used for RPG Maker XP.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: My Eden, game tiles

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:46:02 pm
Some nice stuff in here.

I made some edits on a bunch of things.

I think your water is a good start but you can bring in the 2nd darkest colour to push it a bit more, give it more depth.

On the rock sides you have a rather nonsense texture going on which has no volume and rather looks like treebark than rock.

The tree is very flat, don't be afraid to have bigger areas on a single colour. Don't work too noisy, which is an easy trap to fall into when working with low resolutions and few colours. Always think about the shapes first, then the texture.

Other than that I think the logo needs some serious work as it is quite bland atm. Bigger letters, some shading and so on.

Keep up the good work.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline 006

• View Profile

Re: My Eden, game tiles

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:08:31 am
Wow, ptoing that really helps, thanks. I have made some edits to the things. Overall I am not happy with the water, as I have done it too similar to yours instead of taking your advice in my own direction (Not that yours is bad.).

The cliff is still a wip, as it has tiling issues. Not quite sure how it will go with other tiles too. I  quite like the tree and think it is a large improvement. What do you think?