AuthorTopic: [WIP] Brain counter  (Read 6436 times)

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

[WIP] Brain counter

on: November 21, 2009, 07:44:09 pm
Hi everyone ! :crazy:

I finally decided to make something because of the curent Assembly Compo on TIGSource. :D

I had some random ideas for the compo which includes a "Brain bar" (I really don't know how to name it ???).

I spent maybe 1+ hour on it (75% for the text). :o As a result, it does not look like what I wanted to do at the beginning and I am not satisfied with the style of the text. :(

This is the only problem I have, I really don't know how to modify my text in order to looks like in accordance with the rest.

Do you have so advices ?

Thank you very much in advance for your interest ! :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:22:58 pm by CCPC Speaker »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Brain counter

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:01:43 am
I'd honestly go with a yellow outline and a black fill for the text so it matches those brain cutouts. As for text, I tend to cheat. I usually look for a font that looks fitting, then I create the font andthen pixel over the top of it until I get the desired affect so I can't really help you out in creating your own font. All though a minor suggestion, try going for a more curvy text since the rest of the image is made up of curves rather than straight lines.

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:43:19 pm
You're right ! I also thougt about that.

I decided to use the "Service Game Oldskool Outline" Font from FreakyFonts.de for this one. I think it looks much better now.

What do YOU think ?

Thank you very much in advance for your interest ! :)

Offline MegaLeon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 02:42:51 pm
Too much outline. Try giving some depth to the font  ;)

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 02:49:19 pm
Too much outline. Try giving some depth to the font  ;)

Do you have an example ? I don't really understand what you have in mind.

Thank you btw :)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 03:52:23 pm
I think your approach is not really optimal. You should be thinking more along the lines of "show, don't tell". What is important to the player?
You don't need a huge text saying BRAINS and then some tiny brains to actually show what the player needs to know.

I made a really crude anigif to show the direction you could take it in.

This of course could go up or down, all depends if it is something similar to a life counter or whatnot. If you collect brains in the game I suggest to makde a nice brain, and then a nice numberfont so you can go (braingraphic)x(numbers)

Keep it up  :y:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:39:49 pm
Thank you so much for you advice ptoing :)

I've followed it and made something in the same way of your exemple. ::)

I've cheated a little bit for the outline, using the layers filters. Saved some time even if it's not "pure two colors".
As you guessed : the full brain stands for 100%, the empty brain for 0%. Then you have the others 90%, 80%, etc...

I'll try to do some numbers if I have some time. School makes me forget that cool forum.  :'(

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:25:37 pm

I quickly threw this together to illustrate what I will probably suck at explaining.

I think if you're going to go with a big brain, being drained, it would be neat to see it come in sections of the wrinkles, it will help show that is infact a brain, and should look cool if done right too. Have it fade to black or something as it gets used up, and maybe crumple up and fall apart once its done.

As for the filters on the outline, you can't even tell they're there until you zoom in a few times, so it might be better to not bother.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:12:50 am
I like Ptoings idea but I think it should fill 3d like somewhat. Like follow the contours of the brain so it actually looks like its filling rather than a straight like of colour crossing it. Look forward to seeing this come together!

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:56:39 am
I like Ptoings idea but I think it should fill 3d like somewhat. Like follow the contours of the brain so it actually looks like its filling rather than a straight like of colour crossing it. Look forward to seeing this come together!

You're asking too much from me, I just a newbie ;D