AuthorTopic: All Dolled-Up  (Read 5443 times)

Offline otaku330

• View Profile

All Dolled-Up

on: November 16, 2009, 12:15:22 am
The following are some dolls I've done over the years. Some when I was just starting out, others I've done as I've grown in my artistic process. Some I like more then others, but they're all my "babies" and I'm proud of the strides I've made doing them.

Most, if not all, of these were made by downloading a pre-made doll base and adding my own artistic flare and my PC's Paint program. On the few dolls with added textures I added the textures AFTER I had completely finished all other aspects of the doll. The textures were added on-top of the flat color (pixels) in Gimp. I used the paint-can and either the "multiply," "add to," or "screen" options to add the textures/patterns to the original/underlying colors. Thus I had to add the textures into each separate color one by one. (The highlights, main/base colors, and shadows respectfully.)

*Note*-I have the original (purely flat color) finished copies of the dolls which DO have added textures (meaning I have copies of them with NO textures added to them) either on a random USB port somewhere or on my now Virus-fried PC (in which case I can no longer retrieve them T_T). If I shall ever find them I'll be sure to post them here.

Please feel free to critique, so long as it's CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I welcome and value all input, help, and suggestions. Also, should you have any questions, please feel free to ask. (So long as they're not HIGHLY personal or "adult" in nature.)

^Base by: Shouri
Chibi Edward Scissorhands (Unfinished WIP)

It's a doll of me with Ed from FMA (I really miss that watch. T_T/^_^')

^I forgot who did the base, if you do please tell me so I can credit properly.
Kagome from Inuyasha

Anyways, this is a doll of an OC (a Sesshoumaru/OC fanfic) I did for someone

I dolled myself

Cardcaptor Sakura

It's Tidus and Yuna from Final Fantasy X, my first (and so far only) animated doll

^A gift I did for my friend and co-author. (It's me and her) (Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with the credit for the doll base and added textures.)

^Miku Hatsune from Vocaloid(Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with the credit for the doll base and added textures.)

^Miku doll WITHOUT the added textures

^An OC created by my co-author and myself for our Death Note fanfic (L/OC) (Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with the credit for the doll base and added textures.)

^This is my "Pixil ID," a fun trend/bandwagon that's growing in popularity on DA. I made the base MYSELF (Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with the credit for the doll base and added textures.)

^A request I did of a girl from DA who wanted me to pixilize her (Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with a link to the original photo.)

^My very own Pokemon trainer. (Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with the credit for the doll base.)

An OC for my yet to be posted DMC (Dante/OC) fanfic (Click on the pic to be redirected o the original page with the credit for the doll base.)

^Base by MH (I have no clue who that is ^_^')
My Wraith/Ancient hybrid OC from a Stargate Atlantis fic I'm (slowly) working on. (Haven't updated in AGES! T_T)

I apologize profusely if I've posted anything in the wrong format, posted this in the wrong thread, forgotten to mention something required, etc. Please feel free to (POLITELY) point out any mistakes on part so that I can correct them.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Re: All Dolled-Up

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:20:46 am
alot of NPA and alot of JPEG'D pictures

not too mention that the work itself is way to big and flatly rendered. your posting this stuff at the wrong place.
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:44:57 pm
I wouldn't post work that uses someone else's bases here...Honestly, I'd avoid using bases like the plague OTL. It takes out the originality from your art and loses your personal style.

I think the people that made your bases don't have a good concept of pixel art nor anatomy, so you shouldn't use them as an example to learn from..

Oh and this image, http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/233/f/5/f5917103f61fecd2ae9457fbdd50f65b.jpg
looks like the base artist copied (badly) Mitsuru from Persona 3: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/persona3-6.jpg, so you're walking down a dangerous road, calling it an original character...

I think you should post a nice clean .gif or .png version of your pixel ID here (since you made the whole thing yourself) for crit instead?
(And that was certainly a fun bandwagon, I joined it too! :D)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:54:44 pm by Maru »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:24 am
What can I say about bases .. : D?

Using them for conceiving original art is bad of course since it takes away the originality of your art, heh.

Putting clothes on them as a fun activity .. well it's as unoriginal and horrible as sowing clothes for a barbie doll and I don't see what's bad about that, really.

Anyways, otaku330, if you want more replies I suggest you choose one of these pictures that you want to improve in any way, be sure you post it in a clean format (gif or png, jpg destroys the image), and put it up for critique.

Showing off art is ok, but since all posts normally are required to contain constructive feedback I think the members of the forum will shun this topic due to the sheer numbers of pictures posted. And happy one-liners like 'nice art', nice and friendly as they might be, aren't very constructive. Soo yeah. If you don't want your thread to drop down, I think my suggestion would help! Cheers ' u '
' _ '

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:24:36 pm
Hi! I agree with ole' Jad here, while I think you have a conceptual idea of what you're doing, you'll need to post something completely original and saved as possibly a .gif or .png file for us to properly give you the correct feedback!

Here's hoping you get something up! It's always nice to see new members! :)