AuthorTopic: Shmup mockup  (Read 4886 times)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Shmup mockup

on: November 15, 2009, 06:06:26 pm
Having just released Rocketbirds: Revolution, an in-browser Flash game for which I did the majority of the background art [/shameless plug], I figured I'd use the down-time to start mocking up a shmup based on the characters from that game, and specifically, the circumstances in the intro. I haven't really figured how I want to handle the background (ie, whether to go for simple, parallaxing silhouettes, or something more detailed a la Aero Blaster or UN Squadron). So for now, the background and sky are somewhat placeholder.

For the sprites, I still need to go in and rejigger the palettes, since I did up Hardboiled (the chicken) with largely the same palette I used for the penguins (and you can clearly see the difference in color focus between them). Right now I'm also trying to sort out the working files, since they're a bit of a mess of layers (am I the only one that's underwhelmed/frustrated with how Pro Motion handles layers?). I'll likely have separate sprites for arms/weapons, body, jet plume, and the lighting from the muzzle flashes.

Style-wise, I'm more than likely going to stay away from any AA, except possibly some local buffer shading if absolutely necessary.

Not sure where this is gonna go, but once I get a few more assets together, I'll probably start prototyping in Construct. Whether it goes beyond prototype will depend on the bossman.

different weapons and orientations (for movement around the screen)

and a quick animation test

Any c&c is more than welcome.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:09:39 pm by LoTekK »

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Re: Shmup mockup

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:22:40 pm
i absolutely love the light up on the character when he shoots it looks really natural!
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:18:49 pm
Cheers Quazi. :) Hopefully when I get around to fixing up the palettes the lighting will look better, since right now the yellow is a bit over-saturated, and the secondary is pinkish :p

Did up a rocket-strapped kiwi (I'm thinking swarm-type enemy).

edit:
aaand a quick AKM. Which upon looking at it again, is a tad undersized. (fixed)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:07:33 am by LoTekK »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:30:14 am
Love this - really nice palette and lineless style. It does look odd that the giant flames on their backs aren't used as a source of light (where the gunfire is - in the animation anyway). Also, the flames - I expect them to be white in the middle, your shades seem reversed.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:17:30 pm
with those rocketpacks being mentioned, I might also point out that those characters must have very hot feet looking at how close they are to the jet flames.... I think there's likely to be a third potential light source :)

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:47:06 am
Cheers, guys. :) Good point about the missing lightsource from the rocketpack. I hadn't sorted out how best to approach additional lighting for that, in the interests of clarity. I'll play around with it some more, though.

Zoggles: Flaming feet could be a fun random effect. :p

Haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but recently started getting my feet wet with Construct to get a feel for it. While there are aspects of it I like, I think I may switch over to a more code-based framework like pyGame or LÖVE. The inconsistent interface and relative inflexibility are starting to grate.

Short youtube vid

(shell casings are probably a bit overdone :p)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:03:35 pm
(shell casings are probably a bit overdone :p)
I personally love the look of the shell casings

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:31:39 pm
Looks nice so far. I too have no problem with the shell casings.

What I would do tho is make the player shot quite a bit bigger. Sorta like in Metal Slug.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:12:01 am
Reminds me of Team Fortress 2, I think you should make it more colorful, I tried making an edit but it really didn't do much, it just needs a bit more contrast and clean-up.