AuthorTopic: [Novice Pixel Art]  (Read 31261 times)

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Re: [Novice Pixel Art]

Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 11:50:50 pm
Guys can we stay on-topic now?

What you guys think of the so called grass that I did lol.

Thats my first version o.o.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 03:16:01 am
and stop following tuts, because you will get the result of whats in the tut, and that tuts result is very crappy.

Indeed. You should really get tutorials out of your mindset. You need to find art books and materials, because they focus on art fundamentals. If you have no grasp of art fundamentals, you're dead in your tracks.

The grass doesn't really come across as grass. Looks more like a thick carpet of fallen leaves. Or ivy on a wall. Try looking at a field and see what the grass looks like. It's large sections of colour, basically. You get close and its blades that grow in patches and tufts. It depends what scale you want to do it at, but you'll be somewhere between those 2, I imagine.

So far im just doing as evreone is telling me to do .

Isn't it just better telling me what to fix now here and there.

Maybe you're doing what you think other people mean in terms of what you understand about artistic process (which appears to be minimal;  you even have "novice" in the title of the thread!). If you say you're listening, then you must be misinterpreting what we're suggesting. Just about everyone that has posted here seems to be in agreement with each other. There's a consensus on the critique, so trying to tell us how to critique isn't the solution (not to mention this isn't our first rodeo with critique, so to speak). If you can't understand our critique, and you're genuinely listening, then it's clear that you need an expansion of knowledge to proceed.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 09:50:03 am
Probably the reason Im  not understanding you guys because,idk what you guys realy want to tell me.
Im not realy a english persoon,im still studying for it :P.

The other reason>I don't realy have a pixel art book or the way to do it and so.

Thats why im reading tutorials and other things that could tell me what pixel art is realy based on.

Untill now im practing before I start the school about 2D~4D,wich will take probably 3-4 years for me to get there .

But will see if I can understand the tips you guys are giving me.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 09:59:41 am
Not pixel-art books, art books. Pixel art is based on art fundamentals. That's why I'm saying leave tutorials, they usually don't have the correct focus.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 10:05:55 am
So I schould just focus on making something with my own thinking?

Like draw it in real life then try to make it in pixels?

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 10:14:12 am
Imagine it as if it were real - then draw it.

I think that all art is really connected. If you're good at one section of art it will be easier to get started with the next section.
Think of some form of art you're good at. Drawing? Sketching? Painting? Whatever it is, practice it. I think it will make other forms of art, like pixel art, easier to master.

For example; I got started with art when doodling in class. I never even really started pixel art until I had gotten decent at sketching/drawing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:19:33 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 11:40:12 pm

What about this one?

I didn't folow any kind of tutorials just have made it with my own way of thinking.

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 11:59:19 pm
the problem with that tree, is that it looks mirrored, and shouldn't be.
Take a look at photographs of real trees, and use them as an inspiration of what a real tree looks like.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 12:49:50 am
Idk why,but I tried to do that today but it still didn't get right.
Im trying for the oak tree.

They are nowhere alike but will try again tomorow.

Each day I dedicate my time on pixeling a tree,since I got school.

I take about 1-2 hours to make a tree o.o.

Im epic slow I Know.

Edit:What you guys think of this tree trunk?

Non-Shaded 'Ignore the light brown filled inside the trunk'

Shaded

Shaded with background

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:43:18 am by micintexp »

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #49 on: November 17, 2009, 01:49:10 am
Tree trunks get thinner from root to branch tip. Your one has a bit in the middle that goes thin, then it gets thicker again, which is quite unnatural. Also all the branches have a uniform thickness along their entire length, but branches should taper. Think of branches like mini trunks stuck on to a bigger trunk. They all follow very similar patterns.

Also, note in your reference of the oak tree how much space the branches occupy compared to the trunk. Compare the heights; the trunk is only about 1/4 of the total height of the tree! In your piece its about half the height.

As for shading, the lines you've added to communicate texture destroy any volume. You're also missing shadow. You should try to define things with shadow more than highlight.

Good progress, though  :y: