AuthorTopic: Hello :)  (Read 3987 times)

Offline PixelTheDoll

• View Profile

Hello :)

on: November 08, 2009, 11:59:29 pm
I am new, well, actually, I made an account here a looong time ago but never did anything. I was starting pixel art and got frustrated and left it. Well, I came back to it! a few years later  :crazy: so, here I am trying to learn how to pixel^_^ I am still a beginner though. I use MS Paint to create my pixels and then I animate them in GIMP. If anyone has any tips please tell, I am excited about learning pixel art and really want to learn to do my best!!! Thank you so much :) I cannot wait to meet everyone!~ :D

Oh, I should show you some work I have completed. I tried my best, to people on this forum it is probably less than mediocre and must be atrocious.  But, Could people tell me which pixel rules I followed or didnt follow? I would like t know some tips on how to get better :) Thanks in advance!  :P
This is a lollipop that I made :), I think the animation is good, but I would like someone elses opinion :)

My first real attempt at what I call complex animation  :lol: For some reason, GIMP didnt let me make it transparent so I had to leave it with the white background :(

My ver first real project, a Band aid lol  ::)

~Pixel the Doll

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Hello :)

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 04:26:04 pm
Welcome.   :)

I'm sort of a biginner too (pixeling less than a year), but what I see is not enough contrast.  Your colors seem very light and I'm on a dark monitor.  The lollipop seems a bit flat...better shading would help that.  Your animations are cute though.   ;D

Offline PixelTheDoll

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:32:54 am
Thanks for your reply!, I will definitely folow your advice and do more shading ^_^

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:52:16 am
Hello, very cute stuff you have here, I hope you don't mind me doing an edit on your lollipop in order to illustrate the points below.

• In my edit I've upped the contrast as dpixel mentioned, some of the details are a bit hard to read.
  • I have also removed the dithering. Dithering is usually used to conserve colours and/or to add texture and is best used sparingly; lollipops are smooth but dithering gives a bit of a rough texture, so dithering in this piece is a bit unnecessary.
  • Colours - I've managed to get your piece down to just 5 colours. Whilst you don't need to get down this low, using fewer colours essentially means better control over the colours you do have.
  • I added a heart for no particular reason, feel free to ignore it.

Offline PixelTheDoll

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:50 pm
wow o.o thats so much better than mine!  :D The shading makes much more sense!.  Thank you for the colors tip, I didnt know that. I always thought more colors the better.

Offline PixelTheDoll

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:32:54 am
I have a question! =D . So I am an Anime freak (I hope no one hates me for that =( ....)   Well, I was wondering about two things. One of them is actually related to Anime lol.

First Question: I usually use paint ^_^ but after a disaster/MAJOR TRAGEDY, I have been questioning.  I made this cute little pixel doll
THE BASE (the face) is NOT mine, it belongs to KawaiiHannah.com (I tried so hard on the shading,  PLEASE tell me what you think! <3  criticiism is welcomed too! PLZ)  I saved it as a PNG. but it still blurred when I opened it in GIMP to animate it. Thus, I never animated it  :-\ Should I use Paint? because I also downloaded something called Graphics Gale, but it seemed so MAJORLY confusing to me, too many tools ! :yell:. What should I do (by the way im too poor/cheap to get photoshop or anything that costs money atm ^_^ )

Second Question: I LOVE drawing Anime, I was wondering, is it a good idea to transfer scanned anime drawings and color them in with pixel shading? How is it done? Is it better to get really good at drawing Anime THEN going  on to Pixel art or vice versa?  TY for your response in advance! People are awesome artists here I cant believe it!

<3  

Pixel The Doll
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:48:59 am by PixelTheDoll »

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:37:46 am
I have a question! =D . So I am an Anime freak (I hope no one hates me for that =( ....)   Well, I was wondering about two things. One of them is actually related to Anime lol.

First Question: I usually use paint ^_^ but after a disaster/MAJOR TRAGEDY, I have been questioning.  I made this cute little pixel doll
THE BASE (the face) is NOT mine, it belongs to KawaiiHannah.com (I tried so hard on the shading,  PLEASE tell me what you think! <3  criticiism is welcomed too! PLZ)  I saved it as a PNG. but it still blurred when I opened it in GIMP to animate it. Thus, I never animated it  :-\ Should I use Paint? because I also downloaded something called Graphics Gale, but it seemed so MAJORLY confusing to me, too many tools ! :yell:. What should I do (by the way im too poor/cheap to get photoshop or anything that costs money atm ^_^ )

Second Question: I LOVE drawing Anime, I was wondering, is it a good idea to transfer scanned anime drawings and color them in with pixel shading? How is it done? Is it better to get really good at drawing Anime THEN going  on to Pixel art or vice versa?  TY for your response in advance! People are awesome artists here I cant believe it!

<3  

Pixel The Doll

There are actually several tools you could use for pixel art. If you are going to be scanning in drawing then you could use Graphics Gale's layer tool to best effect, or even download Gimp... As for graphics gale, it only takes a bit of reading the manuals or even just experimenting with each tool to see what it does.

As for the art itself, JPEG IS EVIL!!!! Also, the art itself does not look like pixel art. To know for sure I would need to see the art in GIF or PNG form :P

Also, as for using other people's bases... Some people here may see it as cheating. A base is taking the easy way out. If you're not good at drawing faces PRACTICE. Don't take the easy road... I am no expert, and neither will you be if you just edit other people's art. Don't think I'm being nasty, as I just want to help and I am by no means trying to be rude.

But really, keep up the practice and improve yourself :)