AuthorTopic: Got some questions?  (Read 20272 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: Got some questions?

Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 01:37:14 am
What's alpha blending?

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 03:44:57 am

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 05:54:59 am
are my post really SO criptic there's no posible way anyone can understand them?

Yes, I guess they are, Camus. If I didn't get it although I knew what you were talking about, guess how many people got it that didn't.

The 'points of lightness' thing is correct, and we've already made a suggestion to jan for pure palette stepping instead of the ctrl-t based system. But with a bit of tweaking it works now just fine too.

Offline Bachus

• View Profile
    • Killer Robots

Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 09:19:30 pm
Let me try to understand.

You want to draw a greyscale sketch like your little Mega Man example guy that represents all the light and shadows. Then you want to define a palette of colors, say 5 flesh tones, 5 clothes tones, 5 miscellaneous tones. Then when you draw a base color over the greyscale on another layer it automatically picks the right palette color to display?

Or am I completely off the mark?

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 10:52:13 pm
I think he's saying that he wants an alpha-blending mode that moves by ramp steps rather than just by value.  In his greyscale sprite, I think he used an alphablending tool to go up the gradient from one color to the next.  Ideally, he'd like to be able to draw the silhouette in the base, darkest color, and have the alphablending tool have each progressive "layer of paint" go to the next step in the ramp.

I may be completely off, but that's what I got out of it, and it sounds like a potentially cool idea.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:25 am
I think he's saying that he wants an alpha-blending mode that moves by ramp steps rather than just by value.  In his greyscale sprite, I think he used an alphablending tool to go up the gradient from one color to the next.  Ideally, he'd like to be able to draw the silhouette in the base, darkest color, and have the alphablending tool have each progressive "layer of paint" go to the next step in the ramp.

I may be completely off, but that's what I got out of it, and it sounds like a potentially cool idea.

hahahaha. robalan totally got it. man, I feel like such a dinosaur, it's like I'm talking in egyptian and everyone is trying to decode me hahaha
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 12:37:15 am by Camus »

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 21, 2006, 05:33:28 am
I understood what you were saying from the first post.  I don't know why people have a hard time understanding your posts.  Perhaps the reason I can understand what you're saying is because my posts tend to be similarly rambly and disorganized :-P
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Bachus

• View Profile
    • Killer Robots

Reply #37 on: April 21, 2006, 07:48:24 pm
So like a pencil tool with flow control (like an airbrush) that uses a palette of colors instead of a smooth gradient? I suppose if I had ProMotion this would make a lot more sense. I think it's the term "alphablending tool" that confused me. I know what alphablending is, but have never heard of an "alphablending tool".

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #38 on: April 22, 2006, 08:53:17 pm
yes that confused me too because what camus describes doesn't have to do with alphablending at all. It's just moving up and down on a color ramp.

Camus, if you like you can keep your hands on the [ ] keys in pro motion and manually go a step up and a step down, if you keep your palettes organized, this is pretty seamlessly like the tool you suggest, only you don't have to switch between 'lighten' and 'darken' but just press the keys. What you're asking for isn't really much different.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #39 on: April 22, 2006, 10:58:34 pm
wow helm, I just that helps immensley, alot better than having to go back up and click them, or ctrl-clicking a space with the color there already. I have nothing constructive to add to the chat, I just wanted to mention that I didn't know that, and I wish I did before, because it's awesome.