AuthorTopic: Help with Superhero  (Read 4550 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Help with Superhero

on: November 07, 2009, 12:17:21 pm
I need some pointers on this super hero sprite I made. What I would like to know is how well or bad are the shading, anatomy and the color combination...

I'm using this as a reference=

I changed the hair, cause I couldn't get that bloodly haircut still, so I made him kinda spikey and round  :lol:

Also I really can't get done the mask propertly, so I'm giving him glasses... anyone has any suggestions for that? proper feedback is always welcome, thanks in advance.  :D

EDIT:

Very important=

Can you make a gradient that resembles the 3D reference character using this palette? I just wanna have a better idea how to get the colors to look as close as possible, kind of to give that shiny blue / gray / white look it as... here's the palette I'm using. Any physical edits would come in handy too.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:22:50 pm by Antifarea »

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Re: Help with Superhero

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:29:13 pm
your work has a very line-art-then-coloured-in look to it at the moment, try to convey the shape with shading not the lines.
they should just be guides

Here's a really lazy edit of just the abs to show what I mean:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:37:14 pm by Photocopier »

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:26:08 pm
your work has a very line-art-then-coloured-in look to it at the moment, try to convey the shape with shading not the lines.
they should just be guides

Here's a really lazy edit of just the abs to show what I mean:

I've tried that haha but haven't done it right...  :'( which then resulted in me doing it with lines atm... I'm gonna keep trying, thanks for the edit, it helps a lot to look at an actual example.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:34:25 pm
Edit:
One of the things your sprite lack the most now is contrast, most of your colors are way to close in value.
Also as photocopier says you're not using shadows enough to show volumes.
Also I think you should try to a bit more bold and daring in your color choices.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:11:20 pm
Edit:
One of the things your sprite lack the most now is contrast, most of your colors are way to close in value.
Also as photocopier says you're not using shadows enough to show volumes.
Also I think you should try to a bit more bold and daring in your color choices.

Goddamn, that's the ultimate edit you made haha... I'll deffinitely be observing that edit and working out on the contrast and the other issues... I also noticed you made some other changes (like in the face) which is great. Thanks for taking the time. I always use that same palette, that's why it's important for me to see other edits from people who are a lot more experience than me. I'll be doing another edit of the sprite sometime today, and I will post it here.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:54:52 pm
Just out of curiousity, is that your pallette?
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 02:08:15 am
Just out of curiousity, is that your pallette?

No. I created that palette from colors I extracted from Namco vs Capcom (ps2) character / monster sprites. It is the default palette I use to make all my pixel art, except on some occasions where I use others, like my avatar for example that uses other colors. :D