AuthorTopic: parallax backgrounds wip  (Read 5807 times)

Offline neverest

• View Profile

parallax backgrounds wip

on: April 04, 2006, 02:56:24 pm
This is a game Im working on aside from other projects.
Apart from a few failed attempts I've never really tried putting together the landscapes I envision for game ideas, but after a walk along the clifftops I was inspired to give this one a go.

Heres all the elements together.

And the individual layers:

The paralax scrolling occurs vertically as well as horizontally, so currently when you go right up into the air all you see is sea, so I want to add one more layer at the back, of some sort of shoreline, and probably some rocks/islands in the water. Oh and theres also some clouds higher up.
I'm still not sure about the sky and sea, I like the lower colours, but i'm wondering if I should ditch the dither, add in a few more colours and just band them straight across. Currently the topmost dithered part is distracting so thats definately going.
Any other c&c most welcome,
thanks.

Offline Hyun

• 'Tis what we dreamers dream of.
    • View Profile
    • Eo

Re: parallax backgrounds wip

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:14:57 pm
Gorgeous colours Nev. Love the flat style of shading - and therefore the dithering seems to be a bit out of place on the sky. I also love the way you've achieved a grass texture. How long did this take?

This would look pretty luscious as parallax. Your pixel art has come such a long way ever since I first laid eyes on Human Cannonball. Two thumbs up from me!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:35:27 pm by Hyun »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:20:20 pm
Very nice!
I can imagine this paralax scrolling, seems like it would look great in motion.
One thing I'd suggest is perhaps adding a couple cloud layers as well, so that when you are in the sky, there is also some paralaxing so you can notice when you are moving left and right.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:34:43 pm
if they're supposed to parallax shouldn't they seam together and maybe be a little longer? :x or is that coming later

I don't usually go for this style but you pulled it off really well, the colors and implied detail are rather sexy.  Solid pixels
typing ewith fdace

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 05:08:29 pm
if they're supposed to parallax shouldn't they seam together and maybe be a little longer? :x or is that coming later

I don't usually go for this style but you pulled it off really well, the colors and implied detail are rather sexy.  Solid pixels

they look like they tesselate in the X to me?
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 05:18:50 pm
akgjxv, nevermind, didn't see the scrollbars on the images
typing ewith fdace

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 05:22:50 pm
How long did this take?

Far too long to do lots of them. I may lengthen them if I get time.

Your pixel art has come such a long way ever since I first laid eyes on Human Cannonball. Two thumbs up from me!  

hehe thanks, I somewhat cringe when I look back to HC now!

Each layer should currently tesselate horizontally, although admittedly they could be a bit longer. As it is the motion is looking nice and because each layer is a different length, you dont get exactly the same view twice. When theres stuff happening in the foreground it shouldnt be a problem at all.
[edit] No problem goat, I keep doing that myself!

Thanks

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 02:11:03 pm
I love the cliffs you have done. They remind me of when i was last down in Cornwall. Think the cartoon effect rocks! No crits at this time. Nice work.
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 02:26:51 pm
Lovely and warm picture here. I really enjoy looking at it 8)

I think the grass layer doesn't look as good as the hills. Particularly the shading. I find it hard to imagine how the shape would actually look like because the dark shade is confusing. That's all!

O yeah, great that you chose Parallax Scrolling. I don't see it a lot anymore, but it definitely is a great effect. Please keep us posted on this project.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.