AuthorTopic: [Major WIP]Cat?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Jakman4242

• View Profile

[Major WIP]Cat?

on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:48 pm
Here I am, deciding: "Hey. I want to sprite an exaggerated cat-like hero for a game I'm thinking about!"(I design lots and lots of games, but hardly make them.)

So. Here's my cat. It's personified, exaggerated, and definitely looks like a programmer sprited it.

So! Please tear this thing to bits, eat it up, and spit it all over me. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings   :ouch:

Some things to keep in mind though. I'd like to keep it fairly exaggerated, and I'd like to maybe exaggerate it a little bit more.(but not in terms on anatomy, in terms of clothing style/pose/etc.) I'd like to eventually animate this, and(if I like my ideas and this turns out well) potentially make a game out of it. Note that the game in mind I have is a really stylized action-adventure/fighting/RPG style. Sort of like Soul Caliber(series), BlazBlue, and Kingdom Hearts.
And that's it.

So with that, please help me!

[EDIT#1]
Here's the concept art I had for the character, so you can see finer details and get a better idea. I had some real trouble spriting the head, as you can see. I didn't exactly get the shape I wanted. When I did, it just ended up looking.. Strange?
Link

[EDIT#2]
Several major revisions later:

It now resembled what I intended much, much more. And the anatomy/pose looks much better. But... It looks like a mouse. And I can't tell why. Crits please?

[EDIT#3]

More cat, less mouse now. Still looking for lots and lots of crits. Especially some help on doing a fur texture.

[EDIT#4]

It seems that a lot of the fur work is simply in the outline, which I hope I've accomplished a little better now. Steadily making this look more cat-like, my next step is to up the cute factor a few hairs, then hopefully move to the body. Criticism please!

[EDIT#5]

I think it looks better this way-- And the slim limbs for the proportions aren't too bad. They fit with what I'm going for.

[EDIT#6]

Scruffy. To be, or not to be? That is the question.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:24:56 am by Jakman4242 »

Offline Jakman4242

• View Profile

Re: [Major WIP]Cat?

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:21:56 am
Done several huge revisions to the sprite.
(practically a whole new sprite)

Looks like a mouse to me, help appreciated. :o

More revisions!

Looks a bit less like a mouse now, and a bit more like a cat.
And a bit like a... Wolf??

Getting ever closer to what we all know as a cat...

My kitty keeps growing.

Scruffy:
To be, or not to be?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:24:28 am by Jakman4242 »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:24:52 am

I changed the stance a little bit and shaded it. I hope it helps.

Offline Jakman4242

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:54:57 am
Hmmm, I like your stance a lot more, and the way you've shaded has given me a big of insight on how I might do it.

:blind:

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:55 am
About the looking like a rat problem...
Rats have pink fleshy tails.
Cats have furry tails.
Give it a tail.