AuthorTopic: Sea Behemoth  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Arghus

• Murr, the digger.
    • View Profile

Sea Behemoth

on: October 11, 2009, 01:24:16 pm
An enormous shelled jellyfish sea behemoth creature thing.
I made it in Paint. Also posted it on Newgrounds.
Comments and critism are highly appreciated. :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Sea Behemoth

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:21:32 am
Ok . . . these are hard to crit - pixels so evidently lacking in design knowledge and pixel tech. I don't really know where to begin so I'll just use my favorite crit method: CRITBARF

. . . BARFING ACTIVATION>

you've posted elsewhere yet this is still a WIP, why?
no depth; flat, some pillow-shadin' (one of the greatest pixel evils) - needs more pronounced highlights and subsequent shadows dependent on light source(s) if you really want to convey your forms accurately
you call it a behemoth, yet it looks more like a generic cephalopod the size of my hand. You need what are called 'scale clues' - things in the image that imply your subject's true scale by allowing your viewer to compare the subject to something else - in architecture cars and/or people are often used to communicate scale of buildings
it's body is fractured into 3 distinct thirds, injuring it's wholeness/cohesion, each third even has it's own monochromatic palette, color-mixing and hue shifting not even attempted, this forfeits on some easy visual interest and realism
upper third rendered like a bulbous disc rather than a round spherical shape, you're relying on your mind's eye too much, you need to rely on reference more - you're illustrating an underwater creature based on existent underwater creatures which have been photographed many times before, use that to see how light really bounces off of them, or any round shape for that matter. ditch the perfect circle poka dots mechanically fabricated with the circle tool and try some actual texture for the top cap part
middle third really suffers from a lack of depth, the anatomy seems totally improvised, open tubes are awkwardly placed
lower third's color choices really throw things off, I'd never expect purple tentacles, or any other color besides the middle portion's red, since, logically, it's all the same type of tissue. you might try a gradient color shift in the tentacle - gradiently shade them purple as they get farther from the body. They look completely inadequate, what are they good for? He's a "behemoth" yet has useless tentacles. With these types of underwater creatures it's the tentacles that are the terrifying part so to see this one's feeble set is almost comical, like a handicap - no suction cups, way too stubby and short, soft and fleshy gripped with a retarding arthritis disorder seemingly, there's no flow to them as a whole, just random drawn tentacles hanging languidly from the body, you've forfeited the chance to give some sense to movement to the peice. especially problematic is their rendering - except for the overlapping it's like an illusion that they seem equidistant from our viewpoint - no diminishing perspective on what are supposed to be "behemoth" sized tentacles, the ones in back aren't obscured by shadow or any other depth techniques

<FLUSH>

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:48:45 am by Helm »