AuthorTopic: SNES-style RPG stuff  (Read 13953 times)

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Re: SNES-style RPG stuff

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:22:22 am
How would you recommend doing the grass if not this way? I felt that something simpler looked out of place with how ornate everything else is, and I spent forever trying to come up with a grass tile that looked all right, and that's what I got. :\ I'm not averse to changing it, but I'm not sure what to do with it exactly.

Also, yeah, the contrast issue was definitely a big problem. I retooled the sprite I showed in the screenshot.

How's this? Looking at it now, I can see a few problems, but I think it's a step in the right direction, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:29:56 am by Perihelion »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:39:19 am
I think there are some huge contrast/darkness issues going on. Perhaps not a contrast issue as much as just everything is very dark. There is also some color readability issues with the river, in my opinion. So I made an edit. Problem is, because of the way you used the palette some things suffer, like the dirt... I'm not sure what sort of limitations you're working with, and if you are open to change there:

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:22:16 am
I'd go for an even more olive tone in the grass
Made edits on water cliffs and clouds too

Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 04:20:52 pm
I don't like Elk's edit, but Dusty's is a big step in the right direction. The contrast and detail on the rocks in Dusty's edit are still pretty harsh. Everything is basically fighting for attention in your piece and it's hard to make out anything really.

Can we see some animated versions of the character template? I think they don't animate well, but I can't be sure until I see them.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 02:48:19 pm
Yeah I'm not entirely sold on Elk's piece after Dusty's, it feels like a very different atmosphere...good for some things but perhaps not for others, and the unification of tones makes things a little drab.
HOWEVER it has stronger artistic value (which can sell a piece even if it's not as instantly engaging or readable) and the character is easier to find.  I think a marriage of the two might be in order?

Also I think that the rocks are too dark and waste a shade on unnecessary/departing edges.  The value and hue differences are so strong you don't need to increase them further imo.  My suggestion would be to make 2 fairly light colors out of the 3 browns you have and then work into the "black" regions with a new 3rd.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 03:22:32 pm
I don't think you should be using the same green hue for all the plant life. Grass, trees, bushes and vines do not color-coordinate in real life so they shouldn't be doing so here, either, unless you have genuine palette restrictions. Giving them variation in hue will not only make things more varied but it will also separate these elements from the background a little and make it look less flat.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 12:44:17 pm
Hey, guys! I really appreciate all the great feedback, but I've been busy the past few days, and with the way I have this set up, retooling things is a little cumbersome. I want to do more than just a palette change, so I'll probably post an updated version sometime in the next couple days.

Dusty and Elk's edits are definitely a lot more readable than my version, but I think they might be a little bright for the atmosphere I was going for. I wanted something sort of dark and moody (so with that in mind, the sky panorama doesn't really belong with this particular tileset, but I felt the need to include it since I had it). I think it's the grass that's bothering me more than anything, but it's much easier to see what's going on when it's light. Maybe I can add a dark accent grass or something and use a lighter one for the main tile.

ndchristie, thanks, I'll try that when I go back to it.

Ben2theEdge, that's actually a really good tip that hadn't occurred to me. Looking at screenshots from professional games, I see they do this, and I just didn't notice. I'll keep that in mind when I'm revisiting things.

Gil, here's an animated version:

A number of the poses are somewhat unrefined because I intend to draw them individually for each character. As for the walking animations, they're kind of weird because they're three frames and the middle one has to double as an idle pose. Well, there are four on the sheet, and the first one is both the idle pose and one of the intermediary poses for the walking, and I'm having a hard time visualizing how that could work in a way other than what I did. The program I'm working with is limiting. I may be able to change it, but keeping it as it is also means I have a lot less spriting to do, which is a consideration.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:47:50 pm by Perihelion »

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:58 am
Maybe you are looking for something like Secret of Evermore?
The characters have alot of colour in them while the backgrounds are somewhat dark and moody.

I like your piece, it's very detailed and nice, the background clouds are really nice.

One thing I'm wondering about is the mountain walls.. I'm getting the impression they are made from wood for some reason. It's a little because of the colour, but I think it's also the pattern on them, it reminds me of wood. Am I the only one who feels this? Look at the bottom of the mountain walls. The top (ie edges of grass) looks okay tho.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:40:01 am by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 12:46:21 am
I really like this tileset so far, especially the cliffs. However, the tops of the cliff are a little too neat and round. They should be more jagged and/or diagonally based. You can also make a curved version of the top straight tile for variation. Also, you can put jagged cliff edges on the curved tiles to make it seem less tiley. In terms of colors, I like the dark vibe, and I think elk's edit keeps that vibe intact while improving the contrast.

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 12:49:28 am
One thing I'm wondering about is the mountain walls.. I'm getting the impression they are made from wood for some reason. It's a little because of the colour, but I think it's also the pattern on them, it reminds me of wood. Am I the only one who feels this? Look at the bottom of the mountain walls. The top (ie edges of grass) looks okay tho.

I was thinking the same thing actually. I believe it is the texture, and how the cliffs come over the top of the grass. I had the feeling that it was the top of a giant tree. Maybe some small tweaks and you could get that rocky feeling.