AuthorTopic: Cartoon Piggy! :)  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Re: Cartoon Piggy! :)

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:09:10 pm
That's quite a lovable little character design you've got there. While I think Helms edit addresses pretty much all the main points, I thought I'd have a quick go with even fewer colours but only really shaved off another 5 from Helms. Not that using the fewest colours is necessary, but the fewer the colours the easier something tends to be to animate.

As for being careful with colour counts, I tend to use the magic wand a lot with a colour tolerance of 1 (but I use photoshop not promotion) just to make sure that the area selected includes everything its supposed to and that there's nothing that slipped by with an ever-so-slightly different colour value.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 03:21:13 pm
I do enjoy the colors and contrast in Zoggles' version of Piggy. And if you do plan on animating him, he has a valid point.

Just thought I'd reinforce.

Offline DeadAce

• View Profile
    • NutCoRner

Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:03 pm
Thx guys for all of your examples, they've been really helpfull!
I've now reduced Piggy to 16 colours, and touched him up, giving him more of a 3d feel, hope you like him!  :)

This is new Piggy, compared to old Piggy.. it's a photoshop file, so it won't be 16 colours, but in my promotion file he is!  ;D

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48:36 pm

That's a great re-working and down to 16 colours from the original 27. Nice work.

It all looks much better now, particularly the front pocket, and his right ear. heh I totally didn't realise it was folded over like that before, but now having seen this newer one, I can't figure out why I didn't see it before.

Good contrast all round and slightly more vibrant colours. The only thing that I wonder about is whether the yellow back-lighting is a little too much or not.

-Z-
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:03:27 pm by Zoggles »

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline DeadAce

• View Profile
    • NutCoRner

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 10:45:43 am
The only thing that I wonder about is whether the yellow back-lighting is a little too much or not.

Yeah, maybe you're right! I tried different variations and like this version, but if he has to work in different environments (i.e. forest, caves, snow scenery) maybe it should be toned down!

Offline DeadAce

• View Profile
    • NutCoRner

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:42:08 pm
I've tweaked the colous of his pants, and toned down the backlight slightly!