AuthorTopic: crit help deciding which character is better...  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

crit help deciding which character is better...

on: August 28, 2009, 12:05:38 am
do you think I should use the new style character, or do you like the old one better? which one fits the goblins better? oh, don't worry out the black outlines on the goblins they can be removed. Thanks!
http://sharenxs.com/view/?id=qqi0ipd-0181511-4memrdh&h=l
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:13:14 am by Mistajaye »

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Re: crit help deciding which character is better...

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:40:04 am
Sorry bud, don't see anything. Also, the link just brings me to an upload page with no pictures either.
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
http://snowsoft.wordpress.com/

Offline ekobor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:08:24 am
The one on the left fits the goblins a lot better, but I would turn their faces so it looks less like they are looking out of the computer, if you are using these in your game.

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:20:03 am
Diggin the one on the left. Try saving as a bitmap/png/gif, something that doesn't mush and blur the colors. The goblin has some personality going for it.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:56 pm
The character to the left reveals some flaws which were previously easy to dismiss cus of the small size of the one to the right. (I'm talking about the arm. why so bulky with such a childish face?) Right character is better. He also fits the deformed goblins better as far as the drawing goes, but they could use some more pixel refinement to fit with the character on the right.

The goblins' teeth look like you couldn't decide if you wanted them to be cartoony or realistic, and ultimately ended up doing neither. Go either way on them, as they are an important part of the design. You could have thick bold outlines on each tooth with a lot of contrast between the outlines and the interior color, or render each tooth. It will make them more visually striking either way you go! TASTY HUMON >:[] omnom

also: NSFW ads on that site you're using, not something I really enjoy having on my screen. If you're going to use an image hosting site, how about uploading to a more mainstream image uploader, and use the [img] tags? easier and safer for all :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:18:37 pm by Atnas »

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:37 pm
I agree with Atnas. I didn't even notice the two men at first. The guy on the right fits more in with the style, but I still like the green guy on the left.

If you want the man on the left to work better, look at why the one on the right fits more. Your left guy looks very unfinished right now, like more of a quick thrown together drawing than a finished piece. Again, the blurry jpeg doesn't help much. Clean up a lot of the black lines and as Atnas said, the face does not fit very well. It's almost as if you were trying for a more realistic style, at least with proportions, but stuck with a lot of your old more deformed style, which makes the man seem "off".

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:15:33 pm
thanks for the advice, but heres a better screen, bmp

heres some concept art, ones i used for the goblins... some other goblins and a kobold and a boss goblin leader guy ^_^

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:22:17 pm by Mistajaye »

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 02:59:40 pm
His arm really distracts me from the rest of the piece (as did the arm on the last version).  I understand that you're not going for an anatomically correct style, but it's important to understand anatomy at least somewhat before you break it, so that when you change something it will be a rational decision which adds to the look of the piece, not a random mistake.  For instance, his deltoid is positioned so that his arm almost seems to be in three segments, and the positioning of the hand seems painful.  If you slim it down a bit, glance at a few references and convey most of the shape with some shading instead of those lines, I think you'll get a much better result.
I dunno, just my two cents.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:07:48 pm
Why is he leaning forward so much?

And how is he going to fight (if he is) with a bird resting on his shoulders?

Also, I can't quite place it, but his pose/feet/legs are quite awkward.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 04:45:05 pm
I think your character is too pale. Hes almost the same color as the scarf. Also, his belt is too high, maybe you should lower that a bit. His torso also needs to be longer?(Im not good with anatomy)