AuthorTopic: Dying Animation help  (Read 13340 times)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Dying Animation help

on: August 26, 2009, 07:44:00 pm
picked up wonderbros again recently, and things had been going pretty smoothly until I decided to start creating dying animations for everyone. The other animations were working out fine, but for some reason when it comes to creating animations for a character's/enemy's death I've been finding myself uninspired, and when this happens I just get incredibly lazy and try stuff like this:

I'd like to be able to create a death animation without having to do the whole 'fade to transparency' or 'disappear' thing before the animation even finishes because that really just comes off as lazy to people who see it. I've tried looking around the forums (not very hard mind you) for some examples of how people have pulled this off in the past, but i've yet to find anything

tl;dr how would you guys recommend going at creating a death/dying animation?

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Re: Dying Animation help

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:50:28 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4081.0
Really good dying animations on that link may help you.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:34 pm
Well he looks sorta like a robot, how about his parts dismantling, bouncing on the ground, then falling off the screen? That would be a cool effect.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:20:26 pm
haha what the hell

anyways, completely new animation(still wip in case you didn't notice for some strange reason)

it's either gonna end with him blowing up or just disappearing
i'll probably go with an explosion though just to make it more visually appealing

edit: noticed he gets whipped to the ground a little too hard after the twist, i'll have to fix that
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:23:12 pm by 1up »

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:25:43 pm
looking good on the new animation. maybe he sparks and twitches abit then fades out.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:36:56 pm

Neat animation. I like it a lot better than the explosions WIP, but if you have a lot of other enemies to animate, you might be setting yourself up for a lot of work. I took a look at some megaman x videos on youtube and they seem to reuse a nicely animated explosion on most enemies. I think the mario games made enemies die with a nice poof of smoke. I think cave story did that too. I'll have to go look at some youtube videos to confirm. You could follow the example of Doom and other FPSs and leave the corpses on the floor, too.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:43:20 pm
i like it enough. i think the explosion out of the eyes is a nice touch. I think if i were to take your animation and were commissioned to do it somehow differently, id say that id continue to jerk the head backwards, more violently than you have now, to indicate that the blast coming out of his face is propelling his head against its proper alignment on his shoulders against his will. I dont really mind the fading out part, it removes a flavor of violence from the whole thing, just perhaps give the head more of a kick backwards over his back than you currently have illustrated.

For the second animation i really like the motion of it and anytime you get hit so hard you spin in midair its really impressive. This is a far more complex animation though and i feel like there needs to be some thought put into the momentum of the hit, how that energy transfers into the body to get it to spin the way youre trying to illustrate, and really stress that the upper part of the torso is spinning a bit 'ahead' of the lower extremities, sort of pulling the rest of the lower appendages into a circular motion with it. the way the spin is illustrated to me reads as if there were more of an upward force than a horizontal one, yet he moves farther right than he does fly upwards. So i think that all has to be considered when moving forward and fleshing out the details of this anim. I do think its a grand start though (the rough quality it has now reminds me of like a really strongly animated stick figure death theater animation or something).

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:05 pm
I think it might be more fitting to have pieces fly about. That always seems like a very good direction for a robot death.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:00:30 am
updated the path it takes a bit

Neat animation. I like it a lot better than the explosions WIP, but if you have a lot of other enemies to animate, you might be setting yourself up for a lot of work. I took a look at some megaman x videos on youtube and they seem to reuse a nicely animated explosion on most enemies. I think the mario games made enemies die with a nice poof of smoke. I think cave story did that too. I'll have to go look at some youtube videos to confirm. You could follow the example of Doom and other FPSs and leave the corpses on the floor, too.
well there's certainly going to be more enemies, but they're for the most part going to just be heavily edited and recolored versions of either this or another few designs we're messing around with right now(sounds a bit lazy with just that, but the upgraded versions are just that, upgraded versions.) so the workload won't really be increased by much when you think about it. I'll definitely check those games out for ideas though.

i like it enough. i think the explosion out of the eyes is a nice touch. I think if i were to take your animation and were commissioned to do it somehow differently, id say that id continue to jerk the head backwards, more violently than you have now, to indicate that the blast coming out of his face is propelling his head against its proper alignment on his shoulders against his will. I dont really mind the fading out part, it removes a flavor of violence from the whole thing, just perhaps give the head more of a kick backwards over his back than you currently have illustrated.

For the second animation i really like the motion of it and anytime you get hit so hard you spin in midair its really impressive. This is a far more complex animation though and i feel like there needs to be some thought put into the momentum of the hit, how that energy transfers into the body to get it to spin the way youre trying to illustrate, and really stress that the upper part of the torso is spinning a bit 'ahead' of the lower extremities, sort of pulling the rest of the lower appendages into a circular motion with it. the way the spin is illustrated to me reads as if there were more of an upward force than a horizontal one, yet he moves farther right than he does fly upwards. So i think that all has to be considered when moving forward and fleshing out the details of this anim. I do think its a grand start though (the rough quality it has now reminds me of like a really strongly animated stick figure death theater animation or something).
That was definitely a concern at first, but when you really think about it, is the player going to be thinking about how unrealistic the flight arc looks in relation to the force and direction it was hit with a bullet? Or is he/she simply going to pass it off as nothing and continue mowing down mobs of enemies?

Regardless, I probably won't end up using this one either. I'll finish cleaning it up though, been having fun working on it

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 05:48:23 pm
Or you could combine both ideas.

Looking good so far, really like the character design and I hope to see more from this deliciousness.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:00 pm
?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 07:08:58 pm
Not to fond of such a specific form of death. What if they don't get shot in the head or something?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:24 pm
This is why you should add multiple death sequences  :P

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 09:16:05 pm
This is why you should add multiple death sequences  :P
I actually got convinced to do this last night

going with this one

and i'll keep playing around with the explosion/exploding death

thanks for the help on this guys
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:57:11 pm by 1up »

Offline skittles.loli

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 11:00:58 pm
I have two ideas for the explosion death.

1- make multiple deaths with an explosion coming out in a different area each time to give variety.
2- have the explosion come from the chest ( I think you could get away with it with your current animation).

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 11:08:28 pm

completely remaking the actual explosion (only 2 frames are done right now though  :blind:)

Moving the explosion a little lower would actually make a lot of sense too haha
I hadn't actually lined up the playable characters with this enemy until I read your post and apparently the tallest character barely reaches his neck/upper chest area

so yeah i'll have the explosion lower down when i'm done with this

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 11:15:39 pm
looking good maybe... maybe when the robot guy hits the floor his eyes/red glass stuff breaks.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 01:00:47 am
penis cloud

edit:
forgot to mention

referenced this for the current explosion

it might look a little too similar though
idk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:02:57 am by 1up »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 01:35:14 am
Maybe an arm or a leg could fall off fall off? That could be cool.

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 04:37:28 am
Something about him laying there seems a bit off to me. I think it may be that his "eye" is still lit up. What if after he landed the eye dimmed/faded to off? Right now it seems less like he is dead and more like he was just knocked down pretty hard. It's almost as if he is about to get back up.
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
http://snowsoft.wordpress.com/

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 05:17:57 am
o.O it's an explosion man ! he got exploded and nothing happened to his chest !!
i suggest you add some black to his chest, and turn off his eyes light.

nice job 1up  :y:
Be Like no other

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 06:50:55 am
Yep, looking very good but as everyone else is saying - it needs debris and the robot itself needs to show some damage. Keep going, I want to see more.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 08:45:29 am

A little rushed and OTT, should've added parts blown away.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:14:55 pm by Chris2balls »
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline gumol

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 08:57:31 am
He looks like he's been shot by a machine rocket launcher (a combination of machine gun and a rocket launcher ;P) and eventually exploded. xD
(about Chris2balls edit)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
OKAY

death 1, now with eye dim

death 2, now with more boom

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 08:15:07 pm
Now I wonder with all this smoke and explosions, if they'd be better off as separate entities that the game handles rather than being rigid and predefined in the animation itself.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 11:15:54 pm
looking good maybe... maybe when the robot guy hits the floor his eyes/red glass stuff breaks.
 DO THIS!!!  But really exaggerate it!!

Now I wonder with all this smoke and explosions, if they'd be better off as separate entities that the game handles rather than being rigid and predefined in the animation itself.

You mean as particle effects right?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:18:53 pm by Mike »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 12:19:10 am
Not really. They can be "traditionally" animated, but be generated separately from the actual NPCs.

I guess that doesn't really matter in the long run since he'd have to create some mock-up animations for us to see them in action anyways.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 02:03:40 am
Not really. They can be "traditionally" animated, but be generated separately from the actual NPCs.

I guess that doesn't really matter in the long run since he'd have to create some mock-up animations for us to see them in action anyways.
we've actually already got that going on with the playable characters (upper body/legs) to avoid jumpiness and overall bad quality

I dont see why it couldn't be used here. It would probably cut down on lag a bit for lower end computers too

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 08:59:04 pm
Yo guy, explosions move too much to feel smooth, you gotta make them combusting explosion clouds move smaller distances pixelwise frame-to-frame or it'll seem jerky. Note how in my explosion the framecount isn't only off the charts, but stuff doesn't move a lot from one frame to next, cause this leaves much clearer after-images to the eyes that now interpret the motion as jerky since it looks (cause it is) split up into still frames.

Heh.

So make fast motions very fast and slow motions very subtle and the eyes will see smoothness O: fantabulastic

oh also btw if the explosion looks like my original colour-and-motion-wise I'll only be flattered so copy as much as you like, you dude you
' _ '

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 03:31:54 pm

Here's some random inspiration. I'll upload the rest of the zombie guys later tonight. And I've got a bigger robot death that is currently a wip that I can add when it's done.

sorry about the non-trans bgs. I was a bit lazy with an unfamiliar gif program when I put them together.