AuthorTopic: RPG Character Sprite  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

RPG Character Sprite

on: August 09, 2009, 04:17:53 am
Here's the main character sprite for an RPG I'm spriting for:

Any CC/Suggestions would be helpful.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: RPG Character Sprite

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:12:43 am
Is this going to be a battle sprite or overworld? If the latter, it seems a bit odd that he's standing at an angle, rather than completely facing up, down, left, or right. Just a thought.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:57:54 am
Overworld. He's standing at an angle to give him a more dynamic pose. I tried making him face forward with straight legs, but it made him look like a robot.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:16:15 pm
I'd just like to throw in my $0.02 and say I like the dynamic pose. I would work a bit though on the outlines, it's kind of a blend of no outlines vs. black outlines and doesn't work well right now. Also I think I would aim the head up one pixel or so. Maybe try ditching the highlight on the leg that's further back to give him more depth.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:52:23 pm
Thanks for the reply. Here's the new version:

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:04:02 am
Hey there.

At a glance I only noticed something direly off about his back leg. I thought about just telling you about it, but figured a solid black paintover would work better. Well, my hand kinda wandered and corrected what it didn't like.

i will save this world
             /

The back leg was from a completely different perspective, as I said before.

You had pillowy shading going on, which didn't really work on clearly defining just what you were trying to represent.

The face was blurry. Also, THOSE EYES. It may look normal to you, but...

Highlights everywhere! The highlight on the pant leg kinda works well, but It's the pants and that's not where your eyes should really wander. also highlighting any vertical rectangles near the crotch area may hint at penis.

I gave him a haircut. two spikes look like horns. orphans are always lawful good. But didn't really touch it other than that. It's a bit noisy, I think consolidating the spikes a bit would take away some confusion.

The belt. Did not know what was going on, I kept your silhouette but got rid of the nasty break. You should invest in a buckle! Also indented the belt on the left by one pixel, to break up vertical contour.

Anatomy. Those arms. Do they look naturally proportioned? I interpretted the stumpyness as foreshortening with a fist pointing forward. Back arm can hang loose to form a nice contour.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 04:01:18 am
Wow thank you for the crits and edit - they are very helpful.

I changed the eyes (I realized he looked like a clown) and hair.
Instead of removing the pant highlight, I just darkened it a bit :P  BTW, the highlight on his front pelvis area is supposed to be his man bulge.
His arms. They have given me so much trouble I kinda just gave up on them :/
Tell me of anything I got wrong.