AuthorTopic: Tile set - Cliffs, grass  (Read 7380 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Tile set - Cliffs, grass

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:47 am
Okay, I'm going to call this finished for now, until I figure out a way to tie the cliffs into the background. The cliffs themselves are ready though. I might add some more cliff tiles once I start playing with them and notice I'm missing some.

Final version for now (I'll update it if someone raises valid points of course)

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:08:27 am
I really think it would be a good idea to make dirt ontop of the cliffs or atleast like a diffrent type of grass(example:dead grassédirt)
because it looks odd having the exact same on top of the cliff as below the cliff.

:crazy:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 03:28:23 am
The mockup is just a test of the cliffs. I'm not going to design a whole bunch of dirt tiles and transitions and stuff just for a quick mockup. It's all about the cliffs here.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 02:59:39 pm
I would make the higher grass lighter than the ground level stuff. It'll help give the tileset depth.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 05:12:06 pm
I would go with big brother on that one as well. Also, at least, I seem to see a small problem with your terrain structure there. I'm going to compare the left and right sides of the image. The difference I see, is that the first set looks more natural then the second. That's because the top of the cliff face conforms to the bottom structure. The second set doesn't, which makes it look wierd, unsteady, and off balance. As if if the character would step over on to it and it'd crumble over backward. While having the pixels look good, having them look natural is just as important as well. I also kinda see the influence there. Personally, I hate when everyone tries to copy some other pixel art design. One more note on your back borders. Some games do with even thinner ones! The reason being, is that when your over a river or another cliff face, it gives it an even slightly better cliff perspective. Right now your saying, 'stop here cuase I want you to'. Thinner borders would say 'omg I almost fell off that!'

(One more thing, how the hell did you get the grass to behave?! While I can see some form of tiling up close, it just merges away otherwise. Excellent job!)

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 06:28:59 pm
Pretty good cliffs but too SD influenced imo!
Keep up the good work
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 06:37:57 pm
I think the borders, particularly along the top, are far too regular, making it look constructed.  Also the division is not very strong, a shadow or any clear difference between the grass on the top of the border and the grass below would do well by you.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 06:39:32 pm
Really? They look a lot more like CT, to me.

The only thing that really sticks out to me is that some of the tiling, or the mapping makes the tiles that repeat easily visible.

It does look pretty linear, I think some work could be done on the cliff edges and transition into grass. It just looks boring now.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:47 pm
These cliffs need to be looked at as a standalone element from the grass everybody. I can't make the top grass lighter, I can't blend strands of grass into the cliffs, as these cliffs can equally well appear in a desert, near water or on a mountain. If I have to make separate tiles for each environment to blend them in, I will go crazy. The grass is just an example.

I can fake it with shadows, which I would do if this were an actual mockup for a level, which this is not. You can look at the original brown cliffs to see what those shadows might look like. Also imagine them not in a sea of green, but on the edges of the screen, surrounded by vegetation, dirt, all kinds of grasses, flowers, roads, rivers, etc.

Pretty good cliffs but too SD influenced imo!
They're far removed from SD imo. I've never even looked at an SD game, apart from the screenshots provided in tsugumo's tutorial (is that still online somewhere?). It's mostly trying to get the look and feel of Chrono Trigger actually, but my tiling skills are miles away from what those artists achieved in CT. I'm talking more about reusability and versatility of the tiles versus the actual texture and likeness, which I think I managed to come close to.

I think the borders, particularly along the top, are far too regular, making it look constructed.  Also the division is not very strong, a shadow or any clear difference between the grass on the top of the border and the grass below would do well by you.
Thanks for that comment, I will look into it. As said above, shadows would be added on the grass if this were an actual level.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:03:28 pm by Gil »