AuthorTopic: Some of my pixel work  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Sandz

• View Profile

Some of my pixel work

on: August 06, 2009, 03:25:38 pm
Hello, my name is Francisco and I'm new to the boards so i thought I'd post some of my recent work. I'm always looking to improve myself so any helpful tips are always welcome.
These examples are taken from a Zelda-style project i worked on for awhile.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Re: Some of my pixel work

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:10:52 pm
I think more contrast would look good on these, that's the only thing I don't like though, the designs are great :)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:08:45 pm
The only thing taht really sticks out in my eyes is the way the house sits on the back of the giant insect thing.The insect has a fairly apprent curvature to it, but the house is stilling placidly on a flat plane. The lazy thing to do would be to make it smaller, and more it more towards the center so it would b sitting balanced on it's back, the AWESOME thing to do woul ahve the house sit there half destroyed.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:31:31 pm
Hey sandz :) welcome to Pixelation ;) your pieces are really really nice and I'm looking forward to seeing them on Delt in action :)
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Sandz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:05:11 am
Thanks guys, i appreciate the kind words :)

@ twirly, when you say contrast, what exactly do you mean?

Offline SWOT

• #1 Commander of Ickus
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:41:15 am
By contrast he means the colors you have are too similar, it's hard to tell the shades a part. Maybe make your lights a bit lighter and your darks darker?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:49:27 am

BAM! There it is.

Offline Sandz

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 05:18:20 pm
ya know ill be honest, i dont think that was an improvement to the piece. I do appreciate the help though  :)

but i took the advice and contrasted the colors a bit more.

would you say it's an improvement?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:24:44 pm by Sandz »

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:59:29 pm
It looks like you just raised the saturation of your colors instead of changing the values and brightnesses.

I also think you're missing out on some valuable advice by ignoring bengoshia's edit, I feel like he addresses some important things in his edit.  It may not fit the game stylistically but personally I do think that it's an improvement.

His looks more three dimensional and is better defined overall, especially the face, which seems to be what he focused on in the edit.
Even if you disagree with the color choice and how his looks less like a cultish monk, I feel like you could still learn something from his color choice, ramps, and shading.

I was going to type something about them but to be honest you can just disregard all the palette things on top, I guess you could have a look at how his colors differ from yours if you change your mind.

Also, just to make a point about contrast, take a look at the orange magician goblin and green pirate goblin.  I believe they both have three shades of color in the skin but it really only looks like one, there is almost no difference between the lightest and second lightest shade and you hardly use your significantly darker third shade.

I don't mean to sound offensive, the characters are all interesting to look at and I love your wizards, especially the third one, and the characters all complement each other very well stylistically.  I just feel like the shading could be improved.

Offline Sandz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:16:32 pm
i see what the two of you are saying. And i must say i Do appreciate the more in depth critique. I think my knee jerk reaction to the edit was simply that it added a bit too much realism to an otherwise cartoon-styled character. I'm going to start working on piece that uses more contrasted shading as you guys suggested since it is something i can certainly benefit from improving on. If there are anymore critiques that can be offered to these pieces i'd still greatly appreciate it.