AuthorTopic: [Finished Thread]  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

[Finished Thread]

on: July 27, 2009, 01:29:26 am
I'm not really making this, but I want some help with my pixeling, so... ::)

Here's the first guy:

I'll work on all the rest later.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:58:29 pm by CommanderD »
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Robots (platformer)

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:56:36 am
Agh! He's a gradient! That's the first problem, recolor, give him an outline of sorts, then we shall begin with critique!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:33:54 am
Outlines are definitely not a necessity in pixel art. I absolutely detest the notion some people harbor that pixel art must begin with line art...

Regarding the gradient, yes it would be best to eliminate it in places. You will not lose visual information if you take it out. Some parts, such as the "wings" can be done entirely flat, as they are flat planes from what I can gather. The eyes look slapped on at the end? Try to add some depth, have them concave or convex, it would help you on your way towards learning to render. Ditch the background gradient, for sure. Flatter, more desaturated colors are good for showcasing a foreground object. Besides that, you have your background with a conflicting light scheme and the same "texture" as your foreground object. This is bad because not only will the conflicting lighting confuse the viewer, they will not be able to tell your background from your foreground because they are rendered exactly the same.

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:23:30 am
Sorry, I couldn't help but post something.

Don't use the gradient tool (if you can help it). I used to do this all the time, but you'll notice all your pictures look the same. Flat, and really weirdly colored.

If you want to learn how to really "shade" things, do it by drawing a SOLID color. No gradient. Just one color.

Then, after it looks okay with one color, add another color for "shadows" for the dark spots of your guy. If done right, you can make a guy look 3D with only using two shades. No gradients. Gradients are not the way to make your drawings look realistic.

After you've got two colors, normal and shadow, add in your third, highlights.

Now you can argue all you want about "I already know how to shade", "I already know how to draw", but just try it! You might like your stuff now, but try out a new way! Trying new things is the only way you get better. Even for the simple things like picking colors and lighting and shading.

If anything, avoid drawing outlines first. Outlines are a bad idea, you'll want to use the fill tool, which is TRAP when you're still learning to draw. You never get practice of painting in for yourself. Which is something you need to learn so that you can be comfortable doing fine details and shading.

Anyway, here's something I drew really fast, roughly based on your colors and shape. Might help you (the left one was the sketch). ROBO CAT.

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 01:13:00 pm
Update for the first robot:

Sorry for the bad Quality.
Dang, shouldn't have saved it as I TIFF...
Either that was the problem, or it screws with the quality when I upload it. What can I do about that?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:56:31 pm by CommanderD »
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Lots Of Robots [update1]

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:57 pm
regardless of quality, it is a step in the right direction.  :) the eyes look defined and the body is pleasantly readable as a flat surface, with a darker green border? Better colors. I think the best thing to do right now would be to start something recognizable, a pencil, or some sort of robot, something with simple shapes like this, but that people have knowledge of, and put it at an angle that is not straight on. I do not think much can be gained by working on this anymore.

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:40 pm
thanks, Atnas. But the point was to make a whole world of robot. And the goal was to just help me (generaly) get better at pixel art.

EDIT: I tried to make a new version in a new angle, but it turned out like crap, so I just made something else.
Air-go, this thread is done.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:09:11 am by CommanderD »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:01:21 am
Thread is done?? What do you mean? You just started working on this one, if you're going to make a pixel piece you need to stick with it instead of throwing it out. It feels like you don't take any of our advice into consideration, its just tossed to the side, have you attempted to prove your fundamental skills? It doesn't seem like it, come on man, you need to help us out in order to help you.

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:41 pm
Atnas said he didn't think much could be gained from working on it anymore.
I'm listening to Atnas. Go to my new thread called 'Simply Improving' for something I'll stick with.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 01:00:53 pm
Atnas said he didn't think much could be gained from working on it anymore.
I'm listening to Atnas. Go to my new thread called 'Simply Improving' for something I'll stick with.

Yes he said that but he didn't say that you should start a new topic  :-\. I think you should finish your pixels in here or elsewhere before making thousands of new topics just for one tiny pic  :yell: