AuthorTopic: Question  (Read 5841 times)

Offline riley66

• View Profile

Question

on: July 17, 2009, 05:09:40 am
I am new to this forum, and I have a question... and yes, I searched for an answer in the FAQ and everywhere!    I was going to pay someone $100 USD to design an image for a "teaser website" for an upcoming Space-Themed MMOCC that I am working on.  This image would be an isometric space station of sorts.   Then I thought- wouldn't it be cool if I made this a contest rather than just hiring someone... this way, it could be fun for some people, and I could have several different options to choose from, and see some different graphical styles.   So yes, now to the question... Where can I make a thread for this contest for $100?  The prize may also be more money if this seems too low.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Question

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:48:05 am
Try the challenges & activities board

You might wanna run it by an admin first but you should be fine just posting it, as long as you have it set out like a challenge thread.

Offline riley66

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 06:09:47 am
yeah I saw that, however it dosn't let me create a thread.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:26:59 am
I guess you have to pm an admin to let you open a thread there.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:07 pm
Spec art at pixelation? I'll have none of that.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:56:28 pm
Actually yeh, I fully agree with Mathias here. This is a typical case of specart disguised as a competition.
If you want people to work for you post a fair offer in the job forum.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline riley66

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:21:50 pm
I don't know what you mean by specart.  This is also not a response which I expected, I was told this was a professional community.  Instead I see rude responses without any explanation. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:26:12 pm by riley66 »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:49:27 pm
speculative art means that there's no guarantee you'll be paid for your work. One of the best examples I've come across of why it's a not-good D: thing would be like going to a restaurant and paying only for the one item on the bill you liked the most, maybe without giving them a guarantee you'll like anything they serve. It takes labor to produce goods, and labor should be paid for adequately. This community is professional enough to not do specart.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:51:10 pm
Sorry, Riley, if you want a good artist, just make a job offer and take the person who sends in the best samples.  :angel:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 12:12:02 am
Don’t be surprised if people here think your offer is a little shady. We don’t know you and it’s not unreasonable to have reservations about hosting a cash money contest on this forum when it’s paid for by an new, unknown third party.

The issue we have with speculative art is that you’re basically trying to pay $100 × 1 for the a package that’s really valued at $100 × n, where n is the number of people who create an image. As Ptoing said, you’ll have much better luck putting up an honest commission in the jobs section.

Also, there’s a difference between rudeness and bluntness. The straightforwardness of this community is considered a feature, not a bug.