AuthorTopic: [WIP] Egyptian woman  (Read 14882 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Egyptian woman

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 03:09:52 am
ndchristie: You know too much stuff.

Perihelion. I think this piece is coming along nicely. There is some slight banding under the eyes that you might want to watch out for. compositionally, I like the bird not being there, and I think it would take away from the piece if the arm weren't there.

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:29 am

Is the dithering okay? I always put waaaaay too much on, but it blended a lot better that way, and it's not obvious unless you peer closely at it. :\

Ryumaru, I tweaked the eyes a bit, but I don't know if I can get rid of more of the banding. As for the bird, it's relevant as a character point. If I don't put it back, I'll probably put something else there, though. Hmmm. Bird is definitely being redrawn if I keep it, but we'll see how it goes.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:00 pm
Hey Perihelion,

Here's an edit that I hope addresses issues I am unable to convey in words.
I like the concept so far, I just think you could use less black lines to define shapes i.e on the lips. I redid the nose slightly since I thought you overrendered the last one and I did a small edit on the hairstyle.

Good luck

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 03:34:06 pm
The face is very reminiscent of Penelope Cruz. Be ready for people to think that. And she's not egyptian or macedonian, she's spanish.

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:58:03 am
gliding: Thanks for the edit! I made the shape of the nose less glaring, and I played around with the hair, but I think I like it better as it is now. Tweaked the lips too.

Mathias: Thanks for your input, but I think I've done about all I can as far as fixing the ethnicity. I'm bored of it now!

I sort of hate the necklace, but I'm not sure why. Also, is the shading on the arm okay? I can't decide if I got the shape right or not. And the holyshitdithering continues! Overkill?

And now to figure out what I'm doing with the robe dress thing and redraw the bird and add a backbground... @_@ /me slits wrists
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:03:51 am by Perihelion »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:31 am
using that as reference.
http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/07/16/49/400_F_7164945_3R9OG5swvhHkjHbf1LN6Hn5EheSPBnn4.jpg

Just made the bicep lighter since that'd get some light as with the shoulder like you've done.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:25 am
your piece has gone a long way, and is really improving, but imho, you should try working on a larger canvas, because the body seems to be affected by the border effect, and thus its too small and compressed, compared to the head. But maybe it's just me being affected  ???
 :)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:03 pm
Not sure if I'm right, but I think there's an anatomy issue.
Here's my quick and dirty edit...

The neck seems a bit too long for me...so I shorten it by 3-4 pixel maybe? Right now, its like... the neck growing on top of that necklace.
Also, I think the shoulder is too far away from the body, it looks like a separated object.

...and I also puff up the hair a little.

Btw, I think the improvement is great. In the first post, I thought she looked kinda spooky. But the latest edit, she actually has some very attractive features : )

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 01:35:47 pm
Yeah, i was going to edit my post and say about the shoulder being too far out. Least someone agreed  :hehe:

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 07:05:08 pm
Quake: Thanks for the input; I'll tweak it! Women tend to show muscle much less than men, though, and I've looked at a few pics.
http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/05/26/54/400_F_5265466_Tfe5LR8Aep9wbZGqMNq4QQ9nnr7sxkZH.jpg
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16547494.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BA42B3C39-9A4C-4C39-A43F-249AFD75E439%7D

politopo: Thanks! And yeah, you might have a point about the canvas, but I think this is going to drive me insane if I add a ton more work to it.... @_@ The canvas needs to stay the same size 'cause I'm using this pic for something (although that's just an excuse; I could crop it), but I could hypothetically have the woman take up more of the canvas.

Tobe: Pretty sure the shoulder is the right distance out from the body, but it might be too separated underneath or not sloping enough. She's supposed to have her hand on her hip, so it looks kinda weird in isolation. For scale comparison:
http://www.themuslimwoman.org/images/hanan_turk_egyptian_actress.jpg

The diagram Quake linked also has the arm at a similar angle. I sorta wish I'd had it hanging straight down instead, but oh well! I'll play with the outline of the shoulder a bit. Hmm, it might be a little big. Thanks for the lighting edit! Will keep that in mind. And yeah, you're right, the neck is way too long. Haha, looks like I lost track of it with the necklace. I'll shorten it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:11:56 pm by Perihelion »