AuthorTopic: [WIP] Egyptian woman  (Read 15110 times)

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Egyptian woman

Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 08:49:46 am
It won't be "much more work", you just need to do the main sketch on the big canvas and then crop it, you dont need to do all the work... ;)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 11:59:18 am
The placement of the shoulder is fine, but id suggest to change the clavicle a bit. The reason the arm looks off is because you're leaving out a muscle in her back.

Offline honored

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 12:02:55 pm
The placement of the shoulder is fine, but id suggest to change the clavicle a bit. The reason the arm looks off is because you're leaving out a muscle in her back.

Isn't the white doth on her shoulder a bit overdone?

Remember its skin it should not shine that much.(Unless she just came out of a bath.)

- Honored

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 10:34:22 pm
 Shoulders very often have a round specular on them from the light reflecting off of it- this is even often apparent on pale people( me) and can be much more prominent in other ethnicities who may have more reflective skin. Although it may be a bit misplaced- should be a couple pixels to the right.

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 01:51:39 am
I got some critique from an artist friend. I pretty much only changed the face in this update; I'll fix the other issues later.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 08:26:45 am
Hi! i like this piece. watching it evolve was kindof fun.

It looks like its cleaning up nicely, but theres a sense of form thats a bit missing for me, and i think that the saturation of the skin also feels a bit overly so as your values approach the shadier side of the spectrum.

I hope you dont mind the edit

Skin starts off sort of desaturated in its highlighted state and again in its shadowed state (mostly so), but the midtones that blend those values together are usually going to be your more saturated values. So i did a little shifting of the shadow hues to almost an olivish grey just to see how it felt. I like the results even just at a first pass wash.

Next i just took a multiply layer and splashed some paint over the right shoulder area where the head/neck may cast shadow, or where shadow may be cast on the edge of the face on the right, just to hit it with abit more form. i think this may be able to be exaggerated further to really round out the forms underlying topography and itll give it a bit more depth than it currently has.

I cut in that shoulder a bit too as the width was looking kindof too meaty / elongated.

please excuse the hastiness of the edit. id love to get into it but its your work, not my own :)

really nice to look at the detail in the necklace and earrings and the overlaying tattoo/henna design on the skin.

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:44 am
I finally got around to working on this damned thing again. I really appreciate everyone's critiques, especially st0ven's wonderful edit--it was incredibly helpful!--and I apologize for not taking them into consideration sooner, but I got really burned out on this after working on it for so long and kept meaning to pick it up again but never did.

Anyone have any further critiques? If not, I think this might be done. Couldn't have done it without all of you, so thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:23:10 am by Perihelion »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 01:26:46 am
The edges of those highlights on the fabric across the chest are pretty hard; maybe break up those hard edges with some minimal dithering? Other than that, this piece is great: wonderful choice and application of color!

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 05:22:05 am
Er, is this any better, or does it need more still?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 05:46:47 am
I think this piece is excellent, the way you did the hair, skin tones, detail on the jewelry is all awesome.

My critique is the shoulder! It's never looked right from the first. First of all I think it's too skinny. Looks like the skin is directly against the bone where the bicep should be. Then, the connection into the torso doesn't look right. It's too much like a ball at the top of the arm, and it doesn't look like it fits naturally into the socket.

Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about fixing this, it's not a huge deal.