AuthorTopic: [WIP] Egyptian woman  (Read 15114 times)

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

[WIP] Egyptian woman

on: July 15, 2009, 07:45:36 am
Most recent version:

Original version, although it's somewhat embarrassing now:

Clearly this is unfinished, but as line art is typically one of my weaknesses, I figured I should stop and get some input before proceeding. I know her head is big, and the bird (an Egyptian vulture, btw) is smaller than it should be, but oh well. Feedback so far? Palette (I cannot make hair black to save my life)? Dithering (excessive)?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:09:43 pm by Perihelion »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Egyptian woman

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:22:20 am
the head so far is impressive, and her lips are the only thing i would change. She doesn't look much egyptian (by my standards, e.g. cleopatra) except for the jewels and rather reminds me of a Julia Roberts / Jennifer Lopez mix.

I'd suggest you rethink the silouhetto around that head, maybe increase the neck's height a little to make her more mysterious, stretch shoulders accordingly to have a proper scale. That shouldn't cost you too much at this stage.
Her pose is a bit odd, though, uncomfortable both for the lady and the vulture. Why would one extends her arm that way to let a bird rest on it. Usually, either you keep the bird on your shoulder easily (think of Captain Whatever's parrot) or you give him your (protected) fist so that you can give him a boost taking off (think of a hunting falcon).

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:41:06 am
The pose was because I made her shoulders too small for the bird to rest there and didn't change it for some reason. I think I might go back and redraw the shoulders in the proper proportions so the bird can rest on it properly.

Before I shaded it, the head actually really looked like Halle Berry for some reason. Gah. I spent a while looking for pictures of Egyptians trying to get the features right, but yeah, it didn't really pan out. :\ I might give it another shot later. I'm making the hair darker, which helps, but it's still sorta weird.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: How exactly would you change the lips? I found a few facial reconstructions of ancient Egyptians online, and they all had very full lips.

Also, I screwed around with the palette a little. Still not happy with it, but thoughts? The highlights on her hair will hopefully be a little less brown once I get more colors, but we'll see how it goes. Anyway, it's 5am, so I'll mess with it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:01:40 am by Perihelion »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:38:22 am
Her haircut seems very modern, with the parting and exposed forehead. Good references are a bit hard to come by, because only statues are visible from the front and even Nefertiti's head is covered with a crown, but I guess this kind of a bob haircut is pretty much what their hair was like.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:41:40 am by JJ Naas »

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:31:09 am
Well, the character isn't an authentic ancient Egyptian. Pseudo-Egyptian character from something, and she has reasons for wearing her hair short. Thanks, though! It is pretty modern, which might not suit my purposes. I tried a bunch of other hairstyles and didn't like them, but maybe I'll revisit it again.

Oh yeah, that sleep thing I was going to do...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:17:27 pm
Cleopatra was a Macedonian woman, not an Egyptian.  nobility typically wore short haircuts to allow for the extravagant horsehair and wicker wigs that we think of as Egyptian 'hair styles.'  The same actually was true of roman aristocrats, who like their Egyptian counterparts would have worn what we'd today call a pixie cut under a wig.  Real hair was not only difficult to maintain without modern products, it was also a great way to get lice and, for the aristocracy, did not offer the the same flexibility of wigs (which could be chosen or changed for occasions with minimal effort).  Nefertiti herself was likely to be bald, as was the custom of rulers and again allowed for the wearing of wigs and crowns (she even, it is suggested, wore a false beard on some occasions, like Hatshepsut).  Cleopatra may have worn her hair in the classical Greek styles, like the other successor-states, but this would have been unbecoming of a roman woman and her western ambitions would likely have shaped her attire.

Ancient Egyptian faces we generally know through sculpture rather than written description, and the blood lines had changed considerably even by the classical age some 800 years after the height of the egyptian empire.  because such works are generally canonical stylizations and not realistic representations, we can assume that the styles are accurate but that the facial structures should give us no more insight than an ancient greek kouros statue.  In their own art they made quite sure to differentiate themselves from semitic peoples, blacks and anatolians by hair styles, clothing, and beards, but much of the facial structure was kept the same.  We can make some observations though based on archeology, most clearly a prevalence of weak chins, high cheeks, almond eyes, and a smooth brow.  It is not unlikely either that the faces depicted, while unified and stylized, were based on prevalent facial structures and contemporary concepts of beautiful people, more like a fashion plate than a cartoon.

I study the eastern Mediterranean for fun as well as in an academic setting, but most of this information can be found at any library (real or digital) and in a thousand and one places on the internet.  Google is your friend!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:05:20 am
Wow, thanks for the info, ndchristie! Yeah, I looked at some of their art and sculptures too, figuring that they'd probably show a general sort of facial structure that would suit my purposes.

Anyway, I made the shoulders wider, redrew the bird's feet, and changed a few small things about the head. Is my anatomy straight? I'd rather change it now than after I shade it, haha.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:08:55 pm
Not sure if being historically correct, but I'm 99% sure that vultures, including Egyptian vultures were never tamed by humans.
I really do like the hair though, this piece looks like it's going somewhere good :D

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:02 pm
it's an Egyptian Vulture to fit the theme of the piece
via wiki: [The Egyptian Vulture] was the symbol of perhaps the oldest deity of southern Ancient Egypt, Nekhbet, who was considered the protector of the pharaoh, royalty, and Egypt and always shown with her extended wings. They referred to the bird as the Mother of Mothers, who hath existed from the Beginning and creator of the world. This vulture always was seen on the front of the pharaoh’s crown. 

I don't think this illustration is going in a history book...

I'd reduce the amount of dithering on the face as it gives a rough texture to skin. The bird seems to lean to the left a bit, maybe straighten him up (maybe he needs to be turned more to the side in order to fit on her shoulder?)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:43:14 pm by Cure »

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 02:47:34 am

Fixed the face up some; dithering's much less obnoxious now. Tattoos are coming back once I'm done shading the chest. The bird is gone for now, but I might redraw it if I'm not bored of pixeling by then. If I don't, the arm is probably going away.