AuthorTopic: Robot mockup  (Read 5294 times)

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Robot mockup

on: July 12, 2009, 12:02:17 am
       Lately, i've been working on a robot mockup, and i need a little help with it. It is supposed to be a fighter game, and the 3 in the middle is the timer i guess. I may make this a game but i suck at programming. The guy on the left looks a little weird but im not sure whats wrong with him. Please  c&c (i dont know what that meens but other people say it so i guess i will too  ::) )

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Re: Robot mockup

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:38:26 am
1: I think the guy on the left's shoulder pad is way too long. Unless you meant for it to be like that.
2: The bulding on the right his to pointy and jagged. Round it out.
3: The big 3 in the middle looks a little off center. He should be snug with the building on the right.

Fix this stuff, and see how it looks.
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:11:12 am
A few things jump out at me right away:
1. The robot on the left is facing his opponent, whereas the robot on the right seems to be looking at us.
2. The rocks in the background and the red robot's claws are completely flat.
3. The countdown is off-center. Woops, someone already pointed that out.

And most importantly, the whole piece is plagued by jaggies! You can fix this by using some cleaner linework and anti-aliasing. If you don't know what that is, there's a useful tutorial here: http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/handmade_antialiasing.php

Good luck!
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:23:10 am
Thanks guys!!!! I'll try to work on it more asap!!

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:45:18 am
i like where this is going, the HUD could use some spicing up though, a bit bland at the moment.

the robot on the left - his body seems to be facing different directions, his torso facing the camera; his arms are attached as though the body were 45 degrees between the camera and the other robot.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:05:25 pm
Alright I've been working on this all day, and i think im making pretty good progress.The left robot's shoulder pad was supposed to be really big. I don't know if it looks right though but i like it so i dont think im going to change it. I think i fixed the building on the left too. Also, i centered the 3 and the 2:00 thing, I tried to "spice" the HUD up but it still looks pretty boring. I gave depth to the rocks and the claws on the one robot. The robots torso is fixed i think but not completely sure. I changed the shading some on both robots too. Regulus Awesome, I took the tutorial on AA but i still don't get it. I tried to use it with this piece but it didn't work. I'm still not exactly sure how to AA. Please critique more, it helps  :D

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:27 am
well another thing i noticed is that the players are pretty far apart, which makes the stage feel pretty empty.

take SF2, they're close enough that the HUD spans the width of the screen, also note the names of the characters and also the win/loss record at top right.  You CAN keep it simplistic as long as it displays the needed information.

King of fighters also:

see how large each character is in relation with the stage and HUD?

as for AA-ing, i can't help too much except give you this link
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:16:44 am
The biggest problem you've got going on here is the formlesness of the robots. They look lik amorphous blobs. You should really be studying form and light. Most of the shadows and highlights really don't make any sense. And this make them look very flat, and rather strange. Even though you have drawn the forms themselves right, the shadows convince you they're a shape they're not supossed to be. If that makes any sense. Try to observe forms in real life, look up photo references, see how light falls on and influences a form.

I suggest you give this tutorial a read, it's very good and I'm sure it'll be a great help:
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

The forms are not the only problem though. The overall posture of the robots is also greatly lacking. Especially the pose of the blue robot. He has this very strange stance that doesn't exactly make him look like he's ready for a fight.
You should also really take a look at the perspective issues. I know you probably want the blue robot to be symetrical, but currently he looks completely different on the other side because there are a lot of mistakes made in the lineart.
For example, his left shoulder (our view) looks like it's facing backwards, while the right shoulder looks like it's facing forwards.

You should also give the designs of the robots alot more thought. The right one is okay, though not without it's problems. But the blue robot doesn't really make any sense in terms of design. I realise you might want them to look cartoony or whatever, but the joints for example still don't make any sense. There's no indication of knee joints on his legs, which would make it impossible for him to walk. In fact, there's no real indication of any leg joints at all.
Take a look at a few robot designs. Like gundams or Mechwarriors to give you some ideas on this.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:27:05 am by Opacus »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:13 pm
Thanks for the critique guys! It seems like The left guy has A LOT of problems so im going to redo him.  So i made  the screen smaller, and organized the HUD. I added dithering to the claw robot and i think it works for him. The two gray ovals at the top of the screen are the win/lose markers. When you win, i guess it would light up green or red or something. I haven't come up with any names yet so i just added "Name." Soon I'll have the new robot done. Thanks :P!!

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:20:40 pm
The "Round (Timer) 1" isn't even (although I'm sure you know that), maybe try putting it under/above the timer? Or, like in normal beat-em-up games, put it in the center of the screen, followed by the countdown (animation).

Ex.

Round 1