AuthorTopic: [WIP] Freeform piece - C64 palette [nudity]  (Read 3983 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

[WIP] Freeform piece - C64 palette [nudity]

on: July 08, 2009, 05:33:40 am
So i thought id share with everyone a piece im working on on and off for a bit now. My original intention with it was to do just a rather free form globular evolution piece with a palette ive never worked with before (c64 palette). I was hoping that it would force me to try to think about using colors in ways i might not have thought about previously. Let me just post the latest in progress render -

I feel theres still a lot to sort out composition-wise, things i keep changing my mind with, things im experimenting with and such. On the technical side of this, just to clarify, i wasnt looking to work in the exact tech limitations of the console as i felt that was a rather daunting task having never used the palette before. I know some of you mods might find that disappointing so ill have to apologize in advance.

for fun i compiled an animation of some of the progress points i managed to keep saved.

It might take a good deal of time but i definitely plan on finishing this thing and will be looking forward to updating this thread as i progress.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:44:40 pm by Jad »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Freeform piece - C64 palette

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:30 am
I really love how colorful the first few WIP steps are. I don't know how to explain it, but I really like that. Second and third frames in the animation look very awesome, everything that follow looks a little boring, at least the colors do. Execution itself is very nice though. Reads very well for what it is, and looks nice and smooth so far.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Freeform piece - C64 palette

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:37 am
Hi St0ven, nice to see you around  :crazy:

I think your girl character is a bit flatspaced, more dynamic lines might suit this.

From a compositional view there isn't a strong counterpoint to the heavy right side with the girl and the head behind her, so along with the lighter colors there, the piece is loopsided. That's what you lost when you removed the colorful stronger figure to the left in the wip.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Freeform piece - C64 palette [nudity]

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:16:25 am
I love the flow and texture of this piece.

I find it unfortunate that you lost a lot of the purples and greens. It seems they would be overkill towards the far left, but they where working quite nicely as transition colors between the two sides.

The figures in the lower left and upper feel cramped and unnecessary. I think you need to drop them completely.

The girl worked better when she was more vaporous. She lost some of her ethereal quality and grace.

The characters might work better if you completely eliminate the pupils. This has a very classical feel to it.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:18:56 am
there's a love here of the torso, and i think that's part of the flattening that helm's pointing at, but i think that bothers me less than that the rest of the form seems less considered/constructed.  the appendages, hips and, to quote anchorman, "crotchal region" come across as a bit more ball-and-tube than anatomical.

There's something about the composition too that's more than lopsided, it speeds across the left and then, finding nothing substantial on the far right, continues off the page.  there needs to be some kind of anchor or, if the last head is supposed to be bright, make it brilliant and bring in more darks to counterbalance (with her taking a slight darkening too, or at least more contrast).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:02 am
mm lots of great discussion here.

Im definitely not as happy with the compositions breakdown as the animation progresses after some consideration. I think the next step would be greatly benefited from blocking out exactly what the composition embodies particularly with the 'rest' of the left side of the image. a counter focal point was my original intention and i feel that slipping away. I think that perhaps the free form approach may not have helped the piece in that respect as it evolved.

blu - i think im going to wind up swapping out that head in the upper right and replacing the more organic fluffier material that was once there and really just focus on playing her hair into it. I think that once i incorporate a bit more edits into the anatomy for dynamism as helm points out, it will make her a nice focal piece for the eye that needs not any further distraction :) the rest im just going to really have to gut on the left and im kindof ok with that.

im wanting to bring in some more of those purples back into it as i really liked them int he beginning, but decided they were a bit overpowering and swapped them out. i like the idea of hitting some of that color back into the merge area of the 'light' and 'dark'.

looking forward to posting updates sometime relatively soon.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:37 pm
I used to do a lot of pieces with this "globular evolution" method, it's quite fun. On top of what's already been said, I would like to see the lighting give more volume with more holistic shadows because the whole piece looks quite flat. Anyway nice work.