AuthorTopic: Platform Tiles, Grass doesn't look right ?_?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Derek_Reaves

• View Profile

Platform Tiles, Grass doesn't look right ?_?

on: July 02, 2009, 03:29:26 am
Been working on this for a while. I've run out of time lately so I don't have time to piddle with this as much as I wish. I work monday-saturday, sometimes all day+night.

I THINK that the rocks look fine (correct me if i'm wrong please!), but the grass just looks awkward to me. I've tried simpler styles, but they look too flat/barred up =/.

If anyone could supply me with some criticism/comments/suggestions/examples, it would be Greatly appreciated.

Also if someone could help me with color schemes it would be great. For example, the basic hue shifts for green are yellow > green > blue. Achieving that blue as a shadow is very difficult to me. I've only managed to do that once and I was using a Legend of Mana sprite for reference. The Legend of Mana artists are masters in this field. I could play around with it for hours and never nail it because I'm bad =p.

Offline vinegarstroke

• I'm gorgeous
    • View Profile

Re: Platform Tiles, Grass doesn't look right ?_?

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:55:14 am
I think the problem is that the grass seems more like moss at the moment. When I realised that grass actually grows in tufts rather than individual blades, my grass tiles started improving.

http://www.ozarkpasturebeef.com/Graphics/cattle_on_grass_for_opb_website.jpg you should be able to spot the little tufts of grass here and there.

I also think the dark green needs to shift more towards a purple hue, it seems rather detached from the rocks.

Offline Derek_Reaves

• View Profile

Re: Platform Tiles, Grass doesn't look right ?_?

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:00 pm
Hey! Thanks a bunch for the reply =].

I tried taking your advice and I think this looks a lot better. Dunno if I pulled it off like you explained it, but I tried =p.

does the grass still look detached?

Would you mind posting an example of how you would hueshift from green to purple ?_?
I tried doing this for about an hour and no luck. Every palette I come up with either looks like barf or too unnatural.