AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tooth Fairy  (Read 7252 times)

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
    • My deviantART portfolio

[WIP] Tooth Fairy

on: June 26, 2009, 08:24:02 am
I have to submit this in less than three days for pixeljoint's weekly challenge so all C+C would be really helpful while I'm making this. =]

I'm limited to only 20 colours, apparently I have 9 atm.

Still a bit rough at some points, hopefully I can fix it when I'm colouring.

I'm really not used to limitting my palette, this is goign to be hard for me. XD

Hopefully you can tell she has no mouth and those are stitches. That's why she likes teeth so much. :3

Working steadily at it..

Don't know if I'm shading right ..

What to change?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:06:20 am by jennifuh »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tooth Fairy

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:37:44 pm
I'm afraid my advice is unpleasant, make her 25% the size you have her now

oh, and come up with more interesting fairy garb, she's quite ordinary. and where's that flowing ethereal fairy hairstyle at? she's balding horribly, it's disgraceful

she's magical, make that tooth float and glow and stuff. why is it so huge? is it like an ad or something symbolic?

anat proportions are way off. measure the segments of her arms and legs and compare them - just drag out a nondestructible vector line parallel with each segment and then rotate them and fit them to the other side of her body, account for a little perspective diminish, but not much - if any

no wings?

no sparkly magic looking pixy dust floating around maybe even indicating her trail of movement?

give her a little waist purse thingy that implies she has coinage to leave when she gets a tooth

that facial expression is rather not exciting, give her a nice pretty smile

snap snap, make it happen, we dont got time to fool around!

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 02:50:46 pm
lmaooo! alright, will try to fix all that tomorrow, going to bed soon XD

i thought i didn't have enough colours to do both hair and wings and was trying to decide on one xD i'll try to do both ahah.

maybe i'll resize it down to 50% im used to sketching and such so im used to large canvases ><

sooo much work to do amgz, thanks tho :3

i don't know what you mean by "just drag out a nondestructible vector line parallel with each segment and then rotate them and fit them to the other side of her body, account for a little perspective diminish, but not much - if any" though o.o

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:17:55 pm
Well, the big thing that bothers me about this one is that the pose of the right arm (on the left on the canvas) is completely unnatural, if not impossible. Contrary to Matthias, I do like the alternative, unusual approach you took to the tooth fairy idea, but I can agree with him that you should probably practice on a smaller scale at first until you become more experienced in pixel art.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:20:55 pm
no, I love the fact that the concept here is a typical "fantasy lore" fairy, never thought of that before when thinking about the 'tooth fairy', it's a great direction. i recommend to spice it up, not change the basic idea

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 04:37:07 am
urgh, i don't think i have enough time to start over D: weekend so ill be going out. i dont like the way it looks when i shrink it either.
i'll just keep working at this big and know for next time to keep it small. ><

*puts arm in same position*

Why is it unnatural?

by spice it up, you mean add the hair, wings, coin purse etc?

mathias, you didnt answer my question about hte proportions XD

hmm don't think she's suited to long hair, will do a short do
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:08:36 am by jennifuh »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:35:55 am
mathias, you didnt answer my question about hte proportions XD

Sorry, I was just recommending you draw a quick skeleton for your character and make sure the "bones" you draw for the arms fit both arms, and vice versa for the legs, thus exposing the incorrent differences, etc. But hey don't sweat it, pixel art is for losers anyway. Which brings me to this image rightchere

Here you see some quicky drawn in "bones" and then legs and arms copied and rotated and then compared to the opposite limb. Look closely.

Then, for some reason, I did an edit. It's a very hasty dirty edit, mind you. Tried fixing the proportions, altered her body type; gave her some much needed fairy badonka donk, even threw in a free breast augmentation, why not, didn't really touch the head. The tooth has 2 shades of highlights the fairy doesn't even use, that's a big mistake. I could've went to town using those 2 extra shades but didn't give myself the time. It's late, time to quit, hope it helps, jenn. That alien head really needs to go

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 08:43:41 am
holyyyyyyyyyy, i liek a lot of the changes!
not so much the more amount of muscle and the boobage XD makes her look like a super hero.
thanks for that!! hey dont say pixel art is for losers =p

ah i'll try to change those areas of the body XD i like the extra details you added i failed to draw

for hair, wings, sparkle? hair looks a bit odd on her, bah .. i need to fix that too T___T

the tooth is giant as a ways of comparison for her size XD i dont think i could give her a coin purse which would fit on her body ahah.

kk took a look at your changes and made alterations :]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:22:26 am by jennifuh »

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 01:55:11 pm
Personally i think you do much less dithering (makes it looks a bit dirty) and instead opt for more colour than just green. It looks so monochrome....try to get a colour that goes well with green and is of similar value to the ones that you've already used.
I can't suggest any myself, so it's up to you to play with it. But i really don't think doing that much dithering with green to green is the right direction

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 03:58:25 pm
Well, I can't quite put my finger on it, but in your original piece, it looked to me as though her right arm was in front of her right breast in stead of next to it. I think that more of the arm should be hidden by the breast. In your last edit, this is the case, and it does look a bit better, although I feel like it should be just a little more more. Also, I noticed in your last edit that you're starting to use "fat pixels", that is, in the outline of the back of the leg and in other places, there are blocks of outline pixels that are thicker than 1 pixel, which looks a bit messy. I guess this is called "banding" in the pixel art community. I found an article that may be helpful for you here: http://www.pixel.schlet.net/

On the good side, the hair and the twinklies are an improvement. So don't get discouraged, keep up the good work. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:04:05 pm by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.