AuthorTopic: Help with clothing?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
    • My deviantART portfolio

Help with clothing?

on: June 16, 2009, 11:19:49 am

His shorts are dreadful. I've always been working with smooth surfaces and I really don't know how to shade it. :S

Help?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Help with clothing?

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:42:12 pm
Here is my five minute drapery tutorial. I am not an expert at this and usually I cheat, so if anyone more experienced contradicts me, listen to them instead  :crazy:

I'm not sure if you constructed your character before you started drawing - he's pretty solid-looking so I guess you did. But the key to drawing clothing is understanding what is underneath that clothing, since cloth reacts to whatever it's draped around.

Basically you need to know what the character looks like nude, then figure out the contact points with the cloth - that is, where the cloth is pulled tight against his body, either by gravity or by some other force. Sometimes this requires some thinking and real-life posing to figure out. In this case he's just standing there so the only force pulling the clothing against his body is gravity. And since it's gravity it will be pulling straight down. But the contact points on the shoulders are also pulling against each other a little bit.

Try marking the contact points and the "flow lines" the first couple times you practice this. Once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do that step in your head without having to draw it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:44:27 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:44 pm
jenn, consider working smaller. You'll like yourself for it, though I bet the chinese mark will get lost. The green pancho thing looks like it's made of thick rubber, ben's sensible advice will give it a much better cloth look.

the right foot isn't planted on the ground. hair has an awkward sloping flat area on top
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:49:12 pm by Mathias »

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
    • My deviantART portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:52 pm
LOL, yeah it really does look like rubber :(

Thanks for that!! I'll try to redraw it so it actually looks like cloth T____T

Ah, will try to fix the other things too.

This is forum is def the best place I've found for feedback and help .. you guys are awesome. :]

Errr, liek this? o___o

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:22:24 pm by jennifuh »

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:46 pm
Needs AA to make the edges look more smooth. I think hiz legs are spread 2 far apart, it looks a little weird. but that is really good. =) 

(i think ur like the first other girl ive seen on this whole site. c=)
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!