AuthorTopic: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread  (Read 69837 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 09:55:12 pm
I dislike having a set theme.  I liked it when the idea was to do whatever the hell you want, but getting inspiration from neighboring tile borders.  However, Animation would be good, though it would make things take longer.  New palettes would be excellent.  I think Ptoing should make us one, though a black, white and (insert favorite color here) would be cool.  Like, give a option of 3rd colors and people could pick one, but still have to make it seam with the other tile.  Or something.   :y:

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 10:05:20 pm
That sounds very nice, I like that ideia.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 10:08:27 pm
Or everyone would do a tile with and without waldo and pixelation would have a php randomly displaying one of the waldo-tiles inbetween the rest  ;)

In such case the drawing area given to each maker should be pretty large; i imagine finding waldo on some 100*100 would be way too easy, unless you stuff it completely, nothing else visible behind them, with waldo lookalikes, which wouldnt be that fun?

I guess I didn't explain it properly. You would have for example 6*6 tiles. Everyone makes a tile without waldo and then edits a waldo in at one spot. Then the phpscript would put all the tiles without waldo together but at a randomly chosen tile pick the one with waldo in it. So you wouldn't have to search on 100*100 pixels for waldo but (in case of a 6*6 collab and 100*100 tiles) on 600*600.

Offline peculiarapparat

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 10:18:00 pm
I see, my bad, that sounds nice actually.

As of palettes, im rather new to this, what is it with taking some pointless über-limiting palette (such as the mentioned black/white/1customcolor) anyway? Only nostalgia? I mean, limiting to some 16 specified colors can look really cool, but 3 (esp drastically different) colors will always look crappy, what is the point?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:20:50 pm by peculiarapparat »

Offline tomic

• red is my green, but yellow is yellow.
    • @tomicpixel
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=6236&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • pixeltom
    • View Profile
    • piexeln.de

Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 10:08:42 pm
for the record: i'd vote against the waldo crackpot idea, also 6x6 tiles aren't that challenging.

pirates are  :P

looking forward to the secret santa hexqusite corps 2017

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 03:16:37 am
Yeah, to be honest it was just something that sounded like a great idea at the time after just seeing a retardedly over-cluttered collage of characters that looked like a Waldo page.

Something like your theme transition tiles idea sounded interesting, or at least having a set of tiles flagged as 'sky', 'ground level' or 'horizon', and 'foreground' or 'underground'

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:03 am
for the record: i'd vote against the waldo crackpot idea, also 6x6 tiles aren't that challenging.

pirates are  :P

;D I didn't mean 6px*6px tiles but 36 tiles of 100px*100px tiles. Still I would agree, there are more intresting ideas vor collabs.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 06:41:27 pm
why am I so obivlious; didn't see this

. . .

another thing that i had in mind is a developing palette.. like starting tiles have a given 4 color-palette, the bunch of tiles surrounding the start tile have one additional color and so on. might be a bit costly in terms of moderation though.

what also would be nice is a field separated into different areas (top 3 rows are sky etc.) or even into totally different themes.. the "theme transition tiles" would be quite interesting; think of the map of "lemmings - the tribes" (http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/272/Lemmings%202%20-%20The%20Tribes_3.png), just with better transitions

Tomic, the same concept occurred to me, just in a slightly different idea - about the shifting palette I mean. I would love that. Think of the end result.

And the different sections idea is great! Haveing a shifting palette would complement the entire thing being divided into sections.

We should wait to see how the current HCC turns out and draw conclusions as to what needs better controlled for a more optimal end-result. I get the feeling our current HCC is going to be overly chaotic. Which isn't horrible, but I'd like to try a more calculated approach, such as designating themes, sections, shifting palettes, etc.

BUT, I fear there's an inherent flaw in the shifting palette idea: what happens when you make 2 artists design tiles adjacent to eachother but that have different palettes? Each pixeller is going to use colors on his edges the other may not have, therefore killing the opportunity for them to be seamless. Right?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:41 pm
I LOVE the zoomquilt idea. I was thinking about how to pull it off though and here's what I came up with:

Everyone creates a 100x100 image with 4 pixels designated as the HOLE. The image then zooms (2x, 3x, etc) revealing the next 100x100 image eventually with another 2x2 hole in it to the next one.

Another idea is to have one of those 2D racers like mario kart, but in one big straight road. Everyone creates a tileset consisting of X tiles and creates a flat map with a road running through it. Only the top two tile rows are revealed for the next pixeler, who creates the next piece of road. The end result is pasted in a simple flash app that runs the whole thing. A simple race sprite going through environment after environment.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 12:03:11 am
Forgot about that crazy zooming thing. I found it years ago on ebaums world. I never knew where he'd stolen it from. Don't miss the second one. I love how it starts with a billboard.

They use multiple resolutions of the same images stacked on top of eachother that all scale up as one, as you "zoom". Probably a lot of opacity-fading going on. Notice the jumpy edges of some. I have a lot of experience in Flash animation, so doing a "zoomquit" seems technically feasible, but hello, we're talking about pixel art. I don't understand how a zoomquilt is even a consideration. Plus, I'd rather be able to sit back and survey a huge finished peice of pixel art "landscape", rather than a tiny zooming window, because you know the chosen dimensions for each peice will have to be very small so it's realistic for people to actually finish their contribution.

So, while the zoomquilt idea itself rocks, I don't think it's right for this. The effect will surely majorly suffer if it's reduced to big increments of zoom and the user isn't free to fluidly control it.

When pondering what we can do I lean more towards big crazy detailed busy landscapes, like the 'Where's Waldo?' thought, but not quite. More like some Hieronymus Bosch scene. Something fun to look at and that forces us to improvise creatively.

And Gil, as for the racer idea, are you talking about repeating tiles, like a game has? And will it scroll, or zoom or something?

--How about tiles that aren't tiles but rather concentric circles, and as the rings get too big, they're broken up into individual peices, which can be claimed by participants individually? Or why not tiles without uniform shapes, like a real 250 peice puzzle's peices, which encroach into eachother in random ways. You could still mask all but the outer 8px like we're doing now, or ptoing is I should say.

So, it looks like we have two distinct topics here - the theme and the way it all meshes together.

So, here's my vote on both topics:

MEDIEVAL ERA
Make it a matrix of variously shaped tiles, curvalinear even. Deviate from square bound shapes, too. Make it diverse. We dont want anything too difficult for people to follow.

EDIT*  wait a minute, aren't we supposed to stay within the confines of a hexagonal tiling thing? Hence this thread's name "Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread". It seems we're all going off on random tangents that have nothing to do with the hexquisite concept. I think our options as far as tiling are amount of and size of tiles and the arrangement of them, ie right now they're arranged in an overall hexagonal shape.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:06:32 pm by Mathias »