AuthorTopic: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread  (Read 70720 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread

Reply #80 on: October 29, 2009, 09:15:32 pm
wat wat? I think you understand the pic I made wrong.

The different coloured blocks are seperate corpses, which then get combined. The numbers in the middle is amount of colours.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 03:22:16 pm
Hmm, but an inherent and troublesome problem now is that there will 16, 32 and 48 color tiles next to eachother. The 16 color palette tile will look "gritty" compared to the smooth 48 color tile.
Like a website with a large sliced image and some of it's comprising images are highly jpg optimized while others are perfect quality - a stark image quality difference and therefore visible seams.

And I was wrong about the whole thing tiling like I thought it would. It is possible to create a square tiling section of what you've got there ptoing, but the tile would be ridiculously huge and unreasonalbe, at least that was my conclusion after some hasty tests I'm not satisfied with and will work on more sometime soon. Like you say, it's possible to create some scripted presentation of it that offsets each "chunk" correctly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:24:33 pm by Mathias »

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #82 on: November 09, 2009, 04:33:47 pm
wat wat? I think you understand the pic I made wrong.

The different coloured blocks are seperate corpses, which then get combined. The numbers in the middle is amount of colours.

I think I understand what conceit was trying to say.. hopefully this diagram represents his comments.

The coloured hexagonal areas are individual collabs, each using a 16 colour palette. The grey tiles in between them form a 'bridge' and only those tiles utilise both (or all three) neighbouring palettes (as shown by the colour indicators in the middle of the grey hexes)

The grey 'bridge tiles' can be done as a separate challenge to link a couple of hex collabs. Perhaps where anyone can attempt them and the best tiles from that challenge are then used as the bridge tiles.

This way, any collab can use any palette and you don't have to worry about repeating a palette to keep the colour count in a more central collab down. In your diagram, although your central one has 48 colours, that would mean that several collabs around it need to a lot of the same colours. This is perhaps a little limiting from a design point of view, and perhaps less of a challenge than using a fresh unfamiliar palette.

-Z-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:38:50 pm by Zoggles »

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline pmprog

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: November 15, 2009, 08:02:31 pm
Sounds awesome. When do we start?  ;)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:18 am
What about instead of increasing the colour count of corpses, do something like genetics and take half the colours from one collab and half the colours from another? That way every corpse has 16 colours, so no grittiness?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: February 23, 2010, 03:28:31 am
I don't think there's any realistic way to combine multiple hex corpse collabs so they tile. I just don't think it's feasible.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: April 02, 2010, 07:12:37 pm
Ahhh, this problem is still frustrating. I think it's holding ptoing back from launching another Hex collab. Can we get a concerted effort together and find a solution? Ptoing doesn't need to do all the work, all the time. I'm knee-deep in paint, getting my place (moved) all painted to perfection (I get to post new workstation photos, yay), but I'll think about it some more once I get freed up a little.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #87 on: April 02, 2010, 09:44:47 pm
Yes, I would really like to do another. I don't have any solutions, but I really wouldn't mind doing it via some of the previously mentioned methods.

Who cares if the transitions are noticeable? If we use multiple palettes, it seems unavoidable. I for one wouldn't mind seeing the blend of tilesets, and in fact believe it might enhance the look.

I think we're all being a bit nit-picky, let's just get this going.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: April 13, 2010, 07:36:15 pm
Hey Dr. D, whats up. Well, I don't really think we're being nit-picky, we're just trying to make it work, though I guess it is delaying the Hex III from taking off. We've already done two Hex collabs, and they are essentially identical, in format. It's time to take this whole hex collab idea to the next level. It's worth the wait, and worth the effort.

This post doesn't cover how to make the end-result tile with itself for the infinitely tiling masterpiece that we all want to make work. That comes next, if these "hex blocks" are approved.

I'm still not satisfied with our research, at all. I just moved and have got my office back in decently working order, so I sat down to think about it a little. My contribution today isn't stellar, it just kinda states the obvious - using chunks of hex tiles to create, not an overall hexagonal shape, but rather more of a block that will very easily tile with itself. The overall hexagon shape of the Hex Collabs I & II don't play nice when you try to tile them, though it's still possible if you just do it manually.

The below image, using ptoing's miniaturized hex-grid posted above me, shows you the shape of each individual Hex Collab, then in color how they fit together, demonstrating easy tiling. Top right is just for reference - the real hex tile's size. At the very bottom are two more options for non-hexagonal tiling hex-tile comprised blocks.

Yes, with this idea, we sacrifice the wonderful design factor of the overall Hex Collabs all being hexagonal themselves  -BUT-  when they're put together into the final endlessly tiling image they're destined for, you can't see the shape of each Hex Collab anyway - the edges get lost, they're all put together, so it does not matter what shape they are unless you plan to break them all out and display them separately, which may be the case a few times, but the real priority is making them work with eachother; seamlessly tile.
Therefore this funky lookin' "hex blocks" idea isn't that bad, it's just not as cool as having each individual Hex Collab, used to create the seamlessly-tiling image, be a hexagon itself.

-Put your brain to work, post thoughts/ideas, we're approaching a solution-
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:20:55 am by Mathias »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #89 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:35 pm
Good food for thought Mathias :) I will be on holiday for the time of May but after that I really wanna try to get a new Hexcollab going. Keep up the good work of coming up with possible solutions, I really appreciate it :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.