AuthorTopic: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread  (Read 69839 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread

Reply #70 on: August 21, 2009, 07:46:18 pm
I really want to participate this time, and i quite fancy that pic-in-a-pic idea :)
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: August 22, 2009, 01:18:48 am
Yes I'm eagerly awaiting another one!~

I wasn't able to get anything into the last one but I'm hoping I'll have the time this time!

I'm prepared at any time though. Whenever's best for ptoing =)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #72 on: October 11, 2009, 03:25:33 am
With the new one posted up, I just got an idea!

Now, this would partially depend on each subsequent Hexquisite Corpse collaboration be the same canvas size format, and there would be a marrying of palettes going on so it could get REALLY bizarre.

The idea is that we do three hex collabs, all of 16 completely different color palettes, one at a time.  As we've already got one done, and another one that just started, we would just need to do one more that is of a unique 16 color palette.  Once those three were done, we would subsequently do 3 more collabs that had 32 color palettes that are offspring combinations of the two adjacent 16 color hexes.  The 32 color ones would start out with two edges already workable from the 16 color canvases that they are connecting to/stealing palettes from.  Once all 6 of these were done, there would be one more final hex corpse that would be a discombobulated ass baby of all 6 palettes, thusly becoming a 48 color monster of a project to manage that connects to all 6 hexquisite corpses that came before it.  The result would end up being a massive, massive completed image (which would probably take well over a year to come to fruition fully) the likes of which would never have been traversed as far as sheer scope as far as pixel art collaborations go.

There are kinks to the idea, sure.  16 colors is pretty perfect for a palette size for these collaborations, and adding more than that complicates how it will flow immensely.  But it would be pretty neat to build off old corpses!

Mathias would be able to do a poster print that could reupholster the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

edit: miscounted colors while blindly multiplying palette sizes!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:32:11 am by Argyle »

Offline RadiationGloves.Drugs

• All praise the holy Flying Spaghetti Monster
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: October 22, 2009, 10:17:04 pm
For HCC3 (and possibly 4, 5, 6, etc) you could have a field leading off from the borderedges of HCCs 1 and 2.

Now, I realize that the tiles on the border edges might just have a solid color leading off from it, so it might be difficult to get an idea from the adjacent tile (which is the whole point of the HCC) but I figure that we could give it a shot, and it might make a very interesting finished product.

just a thought.
Iamaminimalist.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: October 29, 2009, 12:34:09 am
Holy crap, epic idea there Argyle! I actually kinda like it . . . hmmmm . . . would it work . . . is there enough support/interest to make it happen? I don't know. I will lend my support to it if it ever lifts off the ground.

For the resultant new printed vinyl wall-covering I'm going to charge that old corpse of a pope dearly for the job, more than Michelangelo ever dreamed!

____

Thinking more about your idea after coming back to this post. I have further thoughts to add/augment. But I first want to conduct a sort of "feasibility study". If it's results are negative there's no sense in wasting time pondering it further.

1) ptoing owns the whole concept, and he's also the one spearheading and responsible for the project so far. His consent is required.

2) Probably already determined, will there be enough support for it? Judging from the first two hex collabs, it's a definite yes, imo.

3) Details. All technicalities need to be well established beforehand. We can't enter such a project unprepared.

One of my foremost thoughts includes making not only the final interlocking 7 hex collabs (once all 7 are done) blend seamlessly, but also making the whole 7 large cluster tile with itself, seamlessly. If Hex3 is started before this aspect is worked out and it's not accounted for, it may be too late to make it work (haven't done a test yet but am pretty sure), since there will too many non-tiling sides.
Once the Hex1 collab was finished I made a seamless filing texture of it. ptoing created the hex grid perfectly, it fits into itself on all 6 sides. Of course, the seams were evident where opposite sides didn't blend. But if my idea works and it's used then this problem will be solved and we'll all have a seamlessly tiling texture of pixel art seven times large than just one hex collab. Think about that.

If there is real interest in this I want to create an explanatory animation outlining how it will work, probably in good ol' Flash.

Please post your thoughts. This is major.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:09 am
Just adding a thought I had on this concept before I go to bed while it is fresh on my mind.  I didn't consider that both of the corpses have colors in common already (black and white for sure, perhaps some other values are recycled but I'd have to go back and check) so the color count of the hybrid corpses would be even less drastic than originally accounted for.   :y:

Great expansion on this Mathias!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:35:30 am by Argyle »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:31 am
I like the idea, BUT, I would rather make it an own cycle and make new ones and not use the 1st and current running one for this. Mainly because the 1st is already revealed.

It would be a good project to do with smaller fields. i think the next under 91 tiles is 61, which seems a nice size for this.
I also agree with Mathias that it would be nice if stuff tiles around the outer edges with itself. Obviously this would not be straight html doable tiling, but it could be done with a flash applet in the end no problem.

I have an idea for a very small 3rd corpse after the current one and then I would be up for doing this project, next year :)

EDIT

how stuff would have to tile

EDIT Deux:
The problem here is that now every hexblock touches every other hexblock which would fuck with the palettes D:

EDIT Tres:
This would only be a problem if we had more than one 16 colour palette and more than one 32 colour one, if that is not the case it should work :o
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:39:44 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 01:11:46 pm
The problem with that diagram ptoing is that there is no transition fields, you should have them arranged by rows and have one row be rainbow varied like you have, while the next just shares some colors between the row above and the row below. that make any sense?  :mean:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #78 on: October 29, 2009, 01:15:25 pm
no
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #79 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:39 pm
thought so  ::)

I think instead of having each field have a completely different color from those adjacent to it like in your picture, we should have some tiles between each field specifically for the purpose of bridging the pallete. how bout that? :-\