AuthorTopic: [WIP] - Forum Logotype  (Read 7170 times)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] - Forum Logotype

on: June 08, 2009, 09:13:55 pm
I'm making another logotype for a forum and I'm sure you've got some ideas to improve what I've come with so far. The pixel art in general in this logotype is simple and easy and  I'm sure this logo can be improved without making too complicated and advanced edits.
I can't spot any specific errors or problems, the goal here is basically to make it look better.
For example; wich background colour do you prefere?

Please share your creative thoughts!

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: [WIP] - Forum Logotype

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:37 pm
I prefer the dark background because the letters contrast it more, and it's much more pleasing and easier to read.

I don't really have any suggestions on how to make it better, maybe if we knew what the forum is about?

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:45:41 pm
I prefer the dark background because the letters contrast it more, and it's much more pleasing and easier to read.

I don't really have any suggestions on how to make it better, maybe if we knew what the forum is about?

It's about nothing, just random topics, that's kinda why I just started out of nowhere. The members are quite young (mainly 13 - 18). They used to be associated with Habbo hotel and it was easy to make an logo then.

But the forum is for kids and teenagers, not too childish and not to strict logo, that's what I'm thinking.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:47:16 pm by SirBilly »

Offline pokoto

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:31:01 pm
One thing that is bugging me is the 1 pixel overlap from one letter to the next. It has more contrast than the diagonal to the background, so at first glance it looks like it is extruding out of the edge extra distance. I agree with Dr D, I think the black background is much nicer. One thing, from a graphic design standpoint, I was surprised when you said it was for kids and teenagers. The logotype is very modern and I think sophisticated, and I didn't associate it with that demographic on sight.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:22:39 am
Good point pokoto, that'll be easy fo fix.
I'm new to this kind of art(?) and I've been looking around googelin' around for "typography", "graphic design" etc. to get an idea of what would suit the forum, suitable for teenagers but still modern and not too childish. I belive the active members of the forum are a bit older and would rather be called teenagers than kids, (15 - 18 yrs old)

Am I going in the wrong direction here?

Overkill? (Worthless AA, will be fixed if it's more popular than the ones above)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:39:20 am
I do like the bottom one more, if not because of the other logotype looks too much like your previous one, and I'm wanting to see something different.

I think the magenta on the m should go over all of it, though, not half of it, makes it look more like an 'n'.

Is there a reason you're using such a wild range of hues?

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 01:02:55 am
The second looks, forgive me, like a boring business card logo.  I think a middle spot could be reached?  I liked the first better.  Maybe a little buffing on that version would help?  texture and personality wouldn't hurt. right now it's a flat non shaded box thing.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:16:46 am
I do like the bottom one more, if not because of the other logotype looks too much like your previous one, and I'm wanting to see something different.

I think the magenta on the m should go over all of it, though, not half of it, makes it look more like an 'n'.

Is there a reason you're using such a wild range of hues?

The range of hues are just a random idea, something that just popped up in my head, but I'm open for suggestions :)

Heres a little bit more of the second logo

The second looks, forgive me, like a boring business card logo.  I think a middle spot could be reached?  I liked the first better.  Maybe a little buffing on that version would help?  texture and personality wouldn't hurt. right now it's a flat non shaded box thing.

I feel a little bit stuck in between. Any suggestions for texture/personality? Thanks!  :y:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:18:22 am by SirBilly »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:04 am
OH GOD WHAT DOES IT SAY ._.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:55:40 am
UNGFORUM, although for a while I thought the first version said UNGFDRUM.