AuthorTopic: Walk animation  (Read 11876 times)

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Re: Walk animation

Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 07:37:57 am
Thanks! That's useful stuff.

Yeah, perhaps one must bite the bullet and only use 1 pixel of vertical bobbing. I only twisted the hips and shoulders 1 pixel or so, and it probably wasn't clear enough. Maybe the arms need to be calmer, they're a bit flimsy now, like she's stirring a pot.

I think, generally in adventure games the character only looks at an angle if it's idling or talking.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:26 pm
in a walking animation the character I would assume the character is moving pretty slowly so you'll want to aim for subtlety - so a 1-pixel bob should be okay but you'll want some other interesting little details to go along with it. With your probotector for example you might consider actually rotating the torso on its Y-axis and tilting the gun up and down.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 02:25:33 pm
A 1px bob actually sounds more sensible for a calm girly walk, yeah.

In Probotector the character runs pretty wildly indeed. When running, the gun will move while held in diagonally front of the chest, unless the player shoots. Then the gun held statically in the direction of the aim. In the case of a diagonal aim the torso will twist a bit to the side.

Probotector always had this perspective thing going on. I never quite liked it, but I suppose it allows the artist to avoid stale 90 degree ortho views. Metal Slug has the characters a bit turned towards the viewer, and it works quite well.

I made an angle view of a turret recently.

Of course, when a character holds a rifle, the torso will have to twist a bit towards the viewer. Tanks and turrets don't have reason to do that (other than striking a stylish pose).