AuthorTopic: [WIP] Side-Scroller  (Read 8546 times)

Offline japez

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Side-Scroller

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:00:10 am
I reqognise that pallete http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/42134.htm
Doesn't really matter but a mention would have been nice cause it looks like this has been based off my little mage, again Doesn't really matter but asking before is always nice  :-\
Anyway this looks quite good but the character has different sized legs.
 I like the background.

Yeah sorry for not mentioning your palette, but i didn't feel obliged too since its just a set of colours. But yeah, it isnt really based on your mage. The sprite also has 2 different sized legs because of the perspective, the other leg is farther away from the point of view so its smaller.

I hope you plan to spice up that player character, he's mighty borin'. I agree with the priority issue. If you're not married to the palette I'd trying using different colors for  the bg as you use in fg. Or even if you don't want to deviate, try different color treatments to distinguish bg from fg.

Yeah, I adding more stuff to the characters, its just a base. And i plan to add more colours.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:16:28 am by japez »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:39 pm
Some may think I'm completely anal retentive, but I really hate it when folks are all "it's just colors".  Drawings are "just lines", PA is "just pixels".  As much thought and time can go into crafting a good palette as can go into making the piece itself, it's still an aspect of the image that the artist spent time and creativity on.

I agree with ND that the platforms have priority issues, maybe try adding some bright highlights, especially to the top surface.
The water texture looks much better, but you've got these three really distinct bands that could intermingle a little and look a bit more natural.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:21:18 am

But yeah, it isnt really based on your mage.
Let's stick to the important part which is being open with and grateful to your sources.  An orange you bought from a store that's been sliced, sun-dried, mixed with granola and blended in yoghurt is still an orange.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline japez

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:51 am
I used his sprite as inspiration and I'm sorry if i didn't credit him but i sure will if i ever publish this on a website or something i'll be sure to credit. I'll probably redo the sprites anyway since this is still a WIP. I was wondering if the background is too distracting for a background, How would i go by making the focus of the game to be on the foreground?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 06:58:47 pm
the problem we have here is this wasn't "inspiration" by any means.  This was an edit.  Edits are simply not allowed here unless given as critique.  You already were warned of citing your sources with the palette, yet you still fail to mention the sprite.  Claiming someone's work as your own by not citing references is a serious offense.  And in all honesty, even if you had cited your reference, that is not the purpose of this forum and you would have been directed elsewhere.  What do you have to say on this?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:20:04 pm by Indigo »

Offline japez

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:02:51 pm
I won't be using my edit of his sprite anymore. Ill make my own sprite completely, I'm sorry if didn't cite the reference i used or "edited" and i'm sorry i disrupted this forum in some way or mad anyone angry, but i don't think it has. I'm still a novice and was not sure about if i had to mention the palette. I don't get what the purpose of this forum then? I thought it was a pixel art forum which you post your WIP designs and the other members can help you improve, critique and comment.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:23 pm
I don't get what the purpose of this forum then? I thought it was a pixel art forum which you post your WIP designs and the other members can help you improve, critique and comment.
Well, yes the purpose is to improve, but someone can't improve if he doesn't learn how to choose his own colours or how to correctly sprite by editing.