AuthorTopic: Fighting Sprite  (Read 5415 times)

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Fighting Sprite

on: April 13, 2009, 05:54:24 am
I got bored, and thought I'd make a sprite for like, a fighting type game. Maybe a selection screen or something. Anyway, I made this earlier, and i cant help notice it looks a bit off. I like the pose, and the right hand looks awesome, but it feels kinda weird, I don't know how to explain it. What do you think?

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Fighting Sprite

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:03 am
Only thing I notice is that the right (his) looks like it's bent at a really awkward/uncomfortable angle. The top of his fist is parallel to his forearm, which, I don't think is right. Try it.

Highlight on the hair is not doing it for me. Left hand (his) seems connected kind of strangely. Neck anatomy is off, I think. Ears are pretty long, intentional? The hands/arms look rather pillowy, too. All of the skin areas, in my opinion, could use some more contrast.

Edit- Actually that whole arm, his right, coming out of the shoulder is a bit weird.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:53:02 am by Dr D »

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:13:14 am
Both the arms are sticking out forward, so i tried to make a perspective. I thought I got it decently.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:14:23 am
Looks like he's missing a foot, maybe give an indication of the other foot.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:25:35 am
When I tried, it made his leg look twice as long as the other, but I'll give it another go.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 03:00:16 pm
Nice sprite you made there, bonofthedead!
You said you like her fists, but for the sake of the whole, you must "kill your darlings". The fist position didn't make any sense to me and the stance looked very instable. I tried to adress these things in my edit.  I think your stance is okay, but gives a different statement. It's up to you what you prefere.
Colorwise, your selection was very dull imho. I tried to choose more appealing (to me) colors. The red/orange shirt gives a nice contrast with the green pants (nice detail on the knee btw) and the shirt colors can be used to AA the skin colors.
Two other things which buged me were the ears and highlight on the hair. I haven't done any ear studies yet, so mine are mostly nonsense, but I hope I can show a direction where you could go. The hair is mostly manga-style shading, so ignore it if you wish. I tried some different shadings, but this worked the best in the end.
Oh, and it's a girl right? So I tried to hightlight her breasts, hips and crotch a bit.

yours - mine:

Keep pushing!

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:11:01 am
I like those colors. As for the sex, it's a guy. I was aiming for super puzzle fighter. I have the b&w sprite, so I'm attempting to make the stance better. It's not him standing with his left leg on the ground, but his left leg up. but i do like the way you made it, so I think I'm going to change that.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:32:15 am
Ok, I messed with what I liked about your edit, and came up with this, but now he looks off center.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:01:13 am
Ok, I messed with what I liked about your edit, and came up with this, but now he looks off center.
Just move his upper part of the body, I did this too in my edit (I used this second frame as base for my edit)

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:04:19 am
Alright, I've colored the newer sprite, though the colors are still bland, almost gameboy-ish, but I think it looks a lot better.
Right now, the hair doesn't have any highlights, because i couldn't get them right.