AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mushroom Scene  (Read 5187 times)

Offline jelayer

• View Profile

[WIP] Mushroom Scene

on: April 03, 2009, 06:39:52 pm
This is part of my challenge entry over at Pixel Joint.  I'm trying to emulate Fool's style in this scene. I've been staring at it for way to long.  There is something that I really don't like about it, but I can't put my finger on it... so I really need some other opinions.

This is just the background. There will be some people and stuff in the foreground where the dirt circle is. 

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: [WIP] Mushroom Scene

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:10:40 pm
Looking good so far, but Fool doesn't really use dithering much in his pieces. I think that's what separates this the most from his style at the moment, in addition to the lack of anti-aliasing. Looking forward to seeing the foreground elements. :)

Offline jelayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:16:16 pm
You know I think that's what is bugging me... the two main mushrooms especially are too jagged.  I'll try some AA and see if that helps. Thanks so much for the comment.  :P

I should be updating soon with some changes and some of the foreground elements.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:32 pm
A quick edit on the left mushroom because I have to go. Just about all AA issues is all I can touch on right now, very nice though. The shapes are a bit odd though, as it creates very jagged, harsh edges where I'd be expecting smooth and clean silhouettes -- AA can help those, but it can't completely fix the effect they have.

Offline jelayer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:59:19 pm
I was going for jagged when it came to the actual shape of the mushrooms. 

Here is a quick update: I did some rough AA on the the background.  Hopefully I'll be able to refine it a bit before the challenge ends, but since I am on a time crunch I want to at least get the other crucial elements in. There is still about three foreground elements I need to put in. Oh and of course finish the fence.  :D

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:16 pm
I like it but the only thing that bothers me about the guys is that there's a little dot on the top of his nose and it kinda makes it look like a wart but maybe that's what you want. Othere htan that really finish the fence.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:00:28 pm
The new figure looks way too messy due to the dithering.  Fool also tends to use more realistic proportions, so I'd shrink the head or enlarge the body.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:20:56 pm
Compare your AA to Dusty's. Yours is somewhat ineffective, the value you chose is too light. Also, there is banding going on, look at the rightmost vertical AA on the left mushroom. Straight lines needn't be AAd, they are already as smooth as it gets.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:31:39 pm
Fool also tends to use more realistic proportions, so I'd shrink the head or enlarge the body.

Plenty of Fool's pieces have characters with oversized heads (usually kids, but sometimes he draws adults this way too) so I think it fits.

Offline jelayer

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 11:58:19 pm
K... thanks so much for the impute, everyone.

Currently working on redoing the AA... then I'm going to do the fence and then I'll try to to eliminate quite a bit of dithering.