AuthorTopic: Various art stuff  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Various art stuff

on: March 30, 2009, 03:04:31 am
Ahoy, it's been a long time since I last posted, but I've been looking around and trying to learn better art on the side.

A rough sketch of a sunset and some grass. Needs to be refined at the pixel level, now that the rough forms are scribbled.

A toaster man, who was eventually going to fire toast and bagels and stuff. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll do anything with this. I just thought it was cute. I was considering the possibility of a smaller,feeble robot being hidden underneath this toaster shell.

Some girl you had to rescue in a cheesy game with magnets and yetis! I'm considering making this character again at a larger size, to use in a game project of mine where she wouldn't be some kind of placeholder character.

I'd like a bit of C+C if possible. I would also appreciate some advice. As a person with little free time, and a low attention span, which piece do you think would benefit my pixel art learning the most? The first one is a still, but would help me learn how to refine large-scale pictures. That, or I was reconsidering remaking that general scene from a bunch of 16x16 tileset artwork. The other two could teach animation and creating interesting characters. I'm on the fence here.

I understand that currently there isn't much here, but I am just curious.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Various art stuff

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 04:44:56 am
It depends on the pixel art you want to produce.
If you practice pixelling realistically, you'll get better at making realistic pixels; if you practice making pixels in a more representational way, like your toaster, then it would follow that you'll get better at making representational-type pixel art.  As long as you are practicing and learning, you will get better at anything.  Keep in mind that it would be most beneficial to you as an artist to study reality and pixel things the way they really are, because anything you might create or represent has it's roots in reality.  But in the end, it's a matter of preference.
Do what you love. Everything else isn't worth your time.  ;)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.