AuthorTopic: My Platformer Sprites / UI  (Read 16486 times)

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

Re: My Platformer Sprites / UI

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 09:08:17 pm
*o* awwww, definitely a step in the right direction.

A word about transparency in Photoshop-- that can raise your colour count like CRAZY. c: 's best to hand-pick your outlines instead.

The skin colours still looked a bit washed out, so I contrasted that. Also the yellow. I also changed the shading in the dress-- in this form of deformed style, heavily-accented breasts look kind of... startling. I added those shoes you wanted to add.

Now, something about form-- as you can see, I changed her stance quite a bit. I believe the more exaggeration to the stance, especially at such restricted height, the more character the sprite will have. I'd like to hear your opinion about it. c:

Offline Petas

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 10:28:38 pm
Haha, that was probably a mistake on my part not to post a reference pic, especially since people like to take this particular character's design in several directions. She's actually supposed to be fairly flat-chested with sort of a 2-piece dress with a loose-fitting top, but now I can see it can really easily be misinterpreted as breasts on my sprite. XD

EDIT: New reference link that's work-safe:
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Reimu_Hakurei

Although, of course, there's no reason for me to stick to any particular design that strictly. Your edit looks more like a 1-piece dress and works quite nicely.

I'm not really sure what you mean about the transparency in Photoshop.. you mean it misleadingly raises the colour count when you check in a program like GraphicsGale?

The new head shape looks nice, more cutesy anime style and less.. I dunno (TBH my sprites kinda remind me of the old Megaman sprites from NES)
I like the new yellow, it's much closer to what it's supposed to look like. Softening the outline around the yellow part looks really nice as well. However, I don't know if this is due to my partial colourblindness but I don't see much of a difference in skin tones.. well, I see a subtle darker yellow tint added.

The dress and sleeve edits seem to add a bit more flair..looks great :) I may take another crack at it later. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:52:41 pm by Petas »

Offline Accident

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:43:33 pm
<-- lols, people don't like to click links sometimes.

This one looked the most accurate to your sprite, so. c': I changed it to an accurate interpretation.

And yeah, that's what I meant, but I dunno about GG-- I use paint. xD
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:45:35 pm by Accident »

Offline Petas

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 09:45:13 am
If only you'd seen the link I had up a minute before. I totally forgot it had adult-material advertisements on the side. XD

Despite the fact that your edits leave me envious of your skillz, I felt that I had to do a final edit of my own sprite, though, for my own sake (I sometimes learn better by practice, and I'd like maximum consistency across all the sprites in my game, so I might as well try to get the style down for myself :) ). It kinda feels a little like I'm copying, though. :/

I adjusted the yellow and lightest skin tone in the palette, changed her hair a bit, and shifted around a few pixels in the ribbon, legs and sleeves.
Thoughts?... I'm still not sure if I should leave the hair like this or adopt the one from your edits.. The thing is I've been trying to portray the part/split in her bangs, but my latest one reminds me a bit too much of a beetle's carapace.

Comparing your edit with my latest one, it seems another big difference is the frame of the character. Mine is a little on the skinny side; I dunno if it's too skinny for the head or is it enough for the chibi-anime style to account for it?
EDIT: Head width decreased by 1 pixel

As for her facial expression, I intended it to be a little bored or passive. Maybe the next character I attempt will be one with more of an attitude.

It seems that with a more cartoony style like this, especially with smaller sprites, it's important to be able to dumb down the features, in a sense. Making clothing folds absent, for example, led to a much cleaner and better looking sprite. I think the style I had going on before, as well as Kindred's edit seems a bit more of the style used in a fighting game or something.

I also need to decide what to do after this one is finished: Attempting to work out the animations, or trying out a different character. Dunno which one I'm in the mood to do atm..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:54:35 am by Petas »

Offline Accident

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:43 am
I'll actually edit and come up with the critique once I'm rested, but:

Look at hair. 1-2 pixels make all the difference. c:

And no, my edits mean nothing unless you're the one learning from them and putting them to use in your own style. So 's all good, man. You're doing it right.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:06:36 am by Accident »

Offline Petas

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 08:37:40 pm
Bounce bounce~

An idle sprite I whipped up this week when I needed a break from writing reports and assignments:

EDIT: Noticed the yellow ribbon thing and hair ribbon movements were not synced so I tried to match them a bit better.

Thought I'd try my hand at animating. This is my first time animating a serious sprite from scratch.
(The other stuff I've tried animating are just random things with relatively simple animation, like this )

The sprite, including the palette, is pretty much unchanged from the previous versions.
I'd like the paper on the shide wand to be a bit more lively but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

As usual I'm open for any kind of C&C :)

Oh, and I recently found out why my colours appeared so washed out; my monitor's colour settings are slightly oversaturated, but I've become used to it so I didn't notice. I recently drew a large coloured picture, and upon viewing it on my girlfriend's laptop I saw that the skin tones were almost grey D: Anyone have any tips on how to calibrate a monitor for more accurate colour representation?... It's a semi-old flatscreen LCD, which probably doesn't help. Too bad a CRT's better pixel display comes at the cost of bulkiness.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:34:40 am by Petas »